Housing in Baltimore near U of M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATLdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have decided on U of M...

Where are you planning to live?

For those of you already at U of M...(or who have experience w/ B-more)...

Which are the best neighborhoods to live in the city? Where do the majority of students live? U of M's housing is not an option for me, so I am looking for a reasonably priced secure building relatively close to campus. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a few things about the area. There is Federal Hill area south of the harbor where a lot of young people are living at. It is just a short drive away.

Otherwise downtown Baltimore is overall undesirable, so you might need to move to a suburb such as ownings mills (there is a commuter train) and ellicot city if you have a family. The commute is around 45 minutes on I-695...there is no nightlife to speak of in the suburbs...

But I'd say if you want a slightly upscale urban feel, south of the habor is your best bet.

ATLdoc,
There are plenty of other neighborhoods in Baltimore that would suit your needs. Charles Village is about 3 miles north of UMd, and Mount Vernon is ~1 mi north of campus. It is not as bad an area as some people might think. I've lived here for 6 years so PM me if you want more details.

greenie

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides the apartment buildings (old manufacturing bldgs that have been converted to lofts) around the university, you should consider Bolton Hill! It's a great neighborhood for U of Maryland - it's about 3-4 minutes by car down Martin Luther King Blvd. Old row houses that have been rehabbed and broken up into apartments. Families, professionals, etc. and home to the Maryland Institute of Art (so some students as well!) (And I'm sure there must be an easy bus route b/c the State office buildings are between Bolton Hill and the hospital). I know it's convenient b/c my family lived there when I was 0-6 - my mom taught at U of M and often came home at lunchtime. Only drawback is that there is not much in the way of grocery or other stores within walking distance.

I lived about 3 minutes away from UM and the area is so so.. there are definately pockets of bad areas immediately surrounding the school. ..Some of the areas across Martin Luther King Boulevard ...Ridgely's Delight an area of old rowhouses next to Camden Yards is a very popular area for the med and dental students..If you don't mind living a little farther Fells Point and Canton are decent areas ...about 2 miles from the campus.
Federal Hill is definately nice about a mile from campus
Overall Baltimore is a fun and interesting place to live, you just have to be aware of your surroundings.

There are several apartment complexes within two blocks of U of M. Inner Harbor Lofts, Marlboro Classic, Redwood, and The Greenhouse to name a few. These are all super convenient to UofM. Some of them can be a bit pricey, but you can't beat the location. I lived in Inner Harbor Lofts last year and liked it alot.

Some of the other neighborhoods mentioned are good locations. I really wouldn't recommend trying to live in Owings Mills or other suburbs. They aren't convenient to the med school and they're often more expensive than decent neighborhoods in the city. Also, worth considering are the following neighborhoods:

Canton (trendy, upscale, lots of young professional types, pricey)
Fells Point (old maritime area of Baltimore, now home to lots of restaraunts, bars, and rowhouses, can be a bit rowdy)
Mount Vernon (closer to med school, good restaraunts, galleries, etc.)
Federal Hill

Originally posted by crippel
There are several apartment complexes within two blocks of U of M. Inner Harbor Lofts, Marlboro Classic, Redwood, and The Greenhouse to name a few. These are all super convenient to UofM. Some of them can be a bit pricey, but you can't beat the location. I lived in Inner Harbor Lofts last year and liked it alot.

Some of the other neighborhoods mentioned are good locations. I really wouldn't recommend trying to live in Owings Mills or other suburbs. They aren't convenient to the med school and they're often more expensive than decent neighborhoods in the city. Also, worth considering are the following neighborhoods:

Fells Point (old maritime area of Baltimore, now home to lots of restaraunts, bars, and rowhouses, can be a bit rowdy)
Federal Hill

I have lived at the redwood and marlboro classic. i REALLY recommend living at the Redwood because it is brand new (built 2000) and it has its own parking garage, something most of the lofts don't have. Its also only two blocks from the school. The lofts are really nice, high ceilings, but parking is a pain. I had to pay 130 a month to park at the Marriott when I lived at Marlboro classic. Anyways, definitely check out the Redwood.

Originally posted by crippel

Federal Hill

I have lived at the redwood and marlboro classic. i REALLY recommend living at the Redwood because it is brand new (built 2000) and it has its own parking garage, something most of the lofts don't have. Its also only two blocks from the school. The lofts are really nice, high ceilings, but parking is a pain. I had to pay 130 a month to park at the Marriott when I lived at Marlboro classic. Anyways, definitely check out the Redwood.

Federal Hill

Thanks for all of the great information. I'll be in Baltimore next week and this gives me an idea of where to start looking.

BTW, have any of you heard of the Sail Cloth Factory? Know anything about it?

Originally posted by ATLdoc
Thanks for all of the great information. I'll be in Baltimore next week and this gives me an idea of where to start looking.

BTW, have any of you heard of the Sail Cloth Factory? Know anything about it?

I looked at Sail Cloth Factory when iwas apt hunting. its kinda yuppie, they have this nice top floor deck you can use to have parties. I recall that it faces MLK blvd, which is the only street separating you from the 'hood, so take that into consideration.

Originally posted by ATLdoc
For those of you who have decided on U of M...

Where are you planning to live?

For those of you already at U of M...(or who have experience w/ B-more)...

Which are the best neighborhoods to live in the city? Where do the majority of students live? U of M's housing is not an option for me, so I am looking for a reasonably priced secure building relatively close to campus. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

It'll be quite a commute to live in Baltimore while attending the University of Minnesota, but it's doable.