Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Housing in Miami

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by WingZero, Mar 30, 2004.

1. WingZero

WingZero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm going to be starting my intern year at Jackson Memorial in late June and have never spent any extended time in Miami before... I'm considering buying but will most likely rent for a year. Do any of you locals know what are some decent places to look at? Any places in Miami Beach that actually have parking? What about Coral Gables or Coconut Grove or Brickell? Any advice is greatly appreciated...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. InGasWeTrust

InGasWeTrust Member
    7+ Year Member

I will be starting out my intern year at Jackson. As far as the housing, Iam not a local, but my wife was born and raised in Miami. We are currently looking for housing. Based on my preliminary research, including a trip to Miami. I can tell you that unless you have/willing to spend at least 425k then a house central to jackson is completely out of the question.

There are a few new condo developments either about to be done or on the books to be started shortly in Coral gables. I have seen that these range about 230/sq. ft on up. Another nice thing about Coral gables besides the great location is the property taxes are lower than the rest of Miami! If you are thinking of brickell then you are thinking big and I like your style but expect to pay at least 325/sq. ft. Coconut grove is very expensive as well, but they do have some "reasonably" priced townhomes, condos there are also some new developments going on there as well. In addition coconut grove is still undergoing gentrification therefore there are still some "tender" areas that may not only represent an affordable option but a investmet opportunity as well.

A good place to start is realtor.com, just use the map search feature and zero in on the zip codes of your desired area. Secondly, miamiherald.com homes section has some info as well as listings.

Just some words of wisdom as you start your home buying sojurn in S. Fla one of the most notoriously corupt realestate markets around. Trust no one. Stated another way, TRUST NO one. Carefully read everything before you sign, and if you cant, then hire an attorney who can, preferaably one NOT from S. Fla. I hope I am not scaring you, just giving you words of advice that hopefully will make the experince enjoyable instead of a nightmare. Good Luck

If/when I find a competent realestate person willing to split their commission with me 50/50 I will gladly forward their info to you.

4. sakullukas

sakullukas Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

still lokking for a half back ( 50/50) realtor from the Miami area? Clare can help.

cel: 954 270 2527

email: [email protected]

5. sasevan

sasevan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey WingZero,
    Welcome to Miami :clap: :clap: :clap:
    I think you'll really enjoy the city as well as UM/JMH.
    If you'd like to live close to the medical center and live in an affordable and secured complex try the Miami River Appartments; it is, however, very isolated.
    If you'd like to live in the middle of the Miami action, think South Beach, especially the Grand Flamingo Condominium; I believe they have special incentives/arrangements for residents.
    Again, welcome.
    Peace.

6. InGasWeTrust

InGasWeTrust Member
    7+ Year Member

D-Cuts,

Thanks, I see a few that I like. Are you planning to cosign?