Housing questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vrazz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so you've been accepted to an out of state school, miles and hours away. How do most people generally find a place to live? Do you make an expensive trek to check things out, or do you put all your faith (and money) into an online listing? I'm not too keen on driving or flying from Detroit to Kirksville to find housing - it's an awfully long way to go.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I just don't think you can trust an online listing if you don't at least have an online picture tour. I know it's a long way to go, but this is where you will be spending a lot of time. I guess you could try to find other Kirksville students and ask them if they can give you any info. I recently went down to the area of my school to check out some of the online listings that I found that sounded really good. I can tell you that I wouldn't keep chickens in some of those places. Nothing can substitute seeing it in person. If you really can't get there to shop around I would request pictures and floor plans if possible for the properties. You don't want to rent blind.

Detroit to Kirksville? Try traveling from Wyoming to Florida!!!

But you have to think... this is the place you'll be living for at least the next 2 years, and maybe even longer. Its worth the travel time and money to find a place yourself, with the help of a real estate agent, that you will be happy in. If you do go through a completely online listing service, there's the chance that you will get screwed and be stuck in a dump for what may turn out to be the most stress-filled time of your life.

Just my opinion though. You may luck out and get hooked up without having to travel.

Best of luck to you.

Peace