Securing housing while on waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Full Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2020
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was accepted to a program about 2 hours away, and I am currently on 2 waitlists for programs in my home city.

I'd obviously much prefer to stay in the city where I live, but I have not heard back from the programs that waitlisted me. One starts in June, and the other starts in August. Both accept people well into the summer months. The school I'm accepted at starts in July.

I'm trying to figure out whether I should secure housing now in the city where I'm accepted. The apartments recommended by students are filling up quickly, but I was able to find 1 or 2 with availability in July. For each apartment, there's an application fee and a security deposit that you forfeit if you don't attend.

I'm wondering if I should fork over the $300-400 to secure housing while waiting on schools from my hometown. If I don't get off those waitlists, I don't want to deal with the stress of finding housing at the last minute. If I do get off the waitlists, then I'd be pissing away a few hundred dollars. Not an insignificant amount of money.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
I would do your best to find a spot in the new city. There is no assurance you'd be able to move off the waitlists, so check on your options. One could also try to find a month-to-month via AirBnb or any housing resources available.
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users
I'm in your same situation, albeit my waitlist is just for an in state school. I'd recommend forking over the money, it sucks but you may end up paying way more if you wait longer than necessary. The leasing offices take advantage when there is a shortage of housing in the area, sometimes by a difference of 2x the usual amount. Try to look into the policies if you need to break your lease and just try to roll with the punches.
  • Like
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would secure the housing now. My son was permantly waitlisted at his #1 choice. You might be able to negotiate a refund from the landlord. It costs nothing to ask. Good luck and best wishes.
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
Hello all - thanks for your input. I am going to move forward with securing housing. The stress and added costs of having to secure last minute housing would not be worth it.
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users
Update: I got off one of those waitlists!! Over the moon right now.
  • Love
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users