Housing-What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HomeNow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently looking for housing and I found a very nice apartment to lease. However, what should I do if I get in off one of my waitlists come July? If I sign my lease right now, won't that cause problems in terms of canceling my contract? What do you recommend for someone that is still on waiting lists and looking for housing for currently accepted medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Once you sign the lease, you're obligated to fulfill the lease with very few exceptions, so I wouldn't sign it until you know for sure you're going to live there. You can get out of the lease, but you'll probably have to pay heavy fees/penalties. Talk to the manager of the complex; perhaps he'll be understanding and give you some leeway.

If you get stuck, you can always attempt to sublease it.

you either wait to latest possible to find a home near your accepted school, or you accept the idea that you won't get off the wait list and just focus on enjoying your current acceptance.

I really want to enjoy my acceptance, but this whole waitlist thing is bugging me. I even gave up the idea of sending another letter of intent, hoping that maybe i won't get in off the waitlist. How are you guys approaching this dilemma? I just don't think it would be wise to wait until the end of may to wait until finding an apartment.