houston general surg programs

Started by rifraft
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rifraft

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking for some first hand information about UT-Houston, Baylor COM and St. Joseph's General surgery programs, if anyone has anything to say about them I would appreciate it,
thanks.
 
I will - if you give me some info on Tech's surg program. 😉

St Joe's - often never fills, I wonder if its b/c its considered outta the med center loop
Baylor - said to be somewhat malignant & I know several Baylor students who do not want to match there

regards,
Armed and
UNREGISTERED
 
uthouston - i did a research month through their department and i got to sit through one of their morning reports. i think that this program is very laid back. one of the faculty members i worked with at uth is a big name in surgery and if you actually meet him in person he is one of the nicest people you could meet - all the students, residents, faculty, and staff really like him. pm for more details that i know of the general surgery department at uthouston.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by unregistered
I will - if you give me some info on Tech's surg program. 😉

no problem, only problem is i'm at tech-el paso, not lubbock, i can tell you in el paso the dept is pretty benign, very friendly, good for people with families b/c they don't keep the residents all hours of the day(except of course during the intern year), but i'm not sure of the quality of the attendings, only one or two of them ever impressed me, and the patient population is all hispanic, all choles and i&d for perirectal abcesses.