Houston housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am shocked that so many people on this site moving to Houston for RESIDENCY are actually considering moving to and commuting from Sugarland, the Woodlands, etc.! I can not think of a worse idea. Seriously, see some of my previous posts on this same thread- if you want to be anywhere near the med center there are GREAT areas to live in: museum district, rice village area, upper kirby, montrose, the heights, etc. If you want more of a neighborhood with yards, lots of familys, try Meyerland, Maplewood, Bellaire areas (these are nice neighborhoods WITHOUT the commute!!!). Where are you guys getting the idea that moving to Sugarland, Woodlands, etc. is a good idea (these places aren't even in the city where you will be working!, and also working long hours!!). I lived in Houston for over 20 years, including during med school, so I do have a lot of insight to the city. PLEASE look around carefully before you make your decision!

Members don't see this ad.

texas_ute said:
I am shocked that so many people on this site moving to Houston for RESIDENCY are actually considering moving to and commuting from Sugarland, the Woodlands, etc.! I can not think of a worse idea. Seriously, see some of my previous posts on this same thread- if you want to be anywhere near the med center there are GREAT areas to live in: museum district, rice village area, upper kirby, montrose, the heights, etc. If you want more of a neighborhood with yards, lots of familys, try Meyerland, Maplewood, Bellaire areas (these are nice neighborhoods WITHOUT the commute!!!). Where are you guys getting the idea that moving to Sugarland, Woodlands, etc. is a good idea (these places aren't even in the city where you will be working!, and also working long hours!!). I lived in Houston for over 20 years, including during med school, so I do have a lot of insight to the city. PLEASE look around carefully before you make your decision!

I agree that many of the neighborhoods that you listed should be seriously considered, but if I had children there's no way I would want to raise them in some of the neighborhoods in Houston like Meyerland. I think a lot of people also realize that you can get a lot more for your money in the suburbs like Pearland. $200K buys a very nice 2 story in Pearland, or a tiny run-down house built in the 1950's in Houston. For the really nice areas inside the loop be prepared to pay well over $500K.

Pearland for the most part is a nice community. In Houston you may have a decent neighborhood, but around the corner is a crackhouse (thanks to no zoning).

In summary, look around at all of your options, but realize that some people are willing to make small sacrifices (ie: drive time) for the sake of their children living in a nice home with good schools and a big yard.

but if I had children there's no way I would want to raise them in some of the neighborhoods in Houston like Meyerland

Offense taken ;) . Raised in that area, went to PUBLIC middle school and high school there.... No problems- biked to school, walked to friend's houses after school, never had anything stolen, etc., etc.; somehow even went on to becoming a physician.

The myth that the schools in the suburbs are 'better' are just that: a myth- where do people do their research?-reading realator billboards for suburban housing developments? See Plano of Dallas as an example- one of the worse drug problems in the country in the schools there- and that is a 'nice' suburb with big, new houses, brand sparkling new strip centers, and spacious green grassy yards.

texas_ute said:
Offense taken ;) . Raised in that area, went to PUBLIC middle school and high school there.... No problems- biked to school, walked to friend's houses after school, never had anything stolen, etc., etc.; somehow even went on to becoming a physician.

The myth that the schools in the suburbs are 'better' are just that: a myth- where do people do their research?-reading realator billboards for suburban housing developments? See Plano of Dallas as an example- one of the worse drug problems in the country in the schools there- and that is a 'nice' suburb with big, new houses, brand sparkling new strip centers, and spacious green grassy yards.

I apologize if I offended. ;)

HISD is spotty at best. While there may be some good schools few and far between, the vast majority are understaffed, underfunded, poor-performing places. Especially since Katrina sent thousands of new, UNFUNDED students into town. I have no doubt that you, texas_ute, received an excellent education back in the 1980's-early 1990's (guess?), but perhaps you would be surprised if you came back to visit....

Does anyone have any information on Plaza at Museum District or The Maroneal. I really like what I have seen on the internet about these two properties, but would like some insight on the neighborhoods, residents, convenience of location, etc. If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

chicago06 said:
Does anyone have any information on Plaza at Museum District or The Maroneal. I really like what I have seen on the internet about these two properties, but would like some insight on the neighborhoods, residents, convenience of location, etc. If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
I recently visited the Maroneal, and as a non-native Houstonian, it seemed to be in a really nice, quiet neighborhood with decent-sized, well-kept homes and lots of mature trees.

I ended up at the Lanesborough because of the convenience of the rail, but the neighborhood around the Maroneal was much more pleasant (and seemed safer... but what would I know from visiting for such a brief time during daylight hours?). It's a pretty short drive to the Medical Center, too, and I think it's on a shuttle route.

tismfu said:
I recently visited the Maroneal, and as a non-native Houstonian, it seemed to be in a really nice, quiet neighborhood with decent-sized, well-kept homes and lots of mature trees.

I ended up at the Lanesborough because of the convenience of the rail, but the neighborhood around the Maroneal was much more pleasant (and seemed safer... but what would I know from visiting for such a brief time during daylight hours?). It's a pretty short drive to the Medical Center, too, and I think it's on a shuttle route.

Agree with the comments on the Maroneal: nice place, close to it all, on shuttle bus (TMC Circulator), nice area with large homes and tress.

The Plaza is also nice, but not as convenient, closer to bad areas of town.

We're selling our house outside of Houston to relocate for my wife's residency. Forgive the shameless shill but this is a great forum for those needing to move in a short period of time. Special incentives if we sell to a resident/medical student as we personally understand how difficult it is.

http://www.har.com/AWS/AWS.CFM?AGENT_NUMBER=513813

Ours is the featured property in the upper right hand corner. Its on Casey Court in West Oaks. PM if any questions.

Anyone selling in Dallas?

Does anyone have any opinion on better cell phone service companies in the TMC/Houston areas? Thanks.