How abnormal are SDNers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how atypical you think SNDers are with respect to number of interviews granted and acceptances. It seems like a ton of people on here, some with great stats and even some with pretty average stats, have been interviewed at most (or at least 1/2) of the places they applied to.

I applied to 17 and I have interviewed at 5. don't get me wrong, i am really excited about my interviews but i would really like to hear something from some of the other schools on my list. I think that my application is pretty good: good grades and mcat, ec's are pretty solid.

how the heck did you guys get so many interviews???? did I like spell my name wrong in my application or what? do a lot of you have something spectacular in your ECs??

i was also wondering if people who were completed later have a ton of interviews. i was complete mid october (late letters) was anybody else complete late like this and receive muchos interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with you. I'd tend to think that most people had their primary in ON June 1, and had their files complete by August. Whereas people like me, who had to kick some peoples Butts to get LOR in. I've only had one interview. I'm hoping I get some more after break--since most schools stop interviewing until mid-Jan.
Most people who on SDN are of the top 50% of applicants--it seems to me that about 80% of SDNers get in. This is just based on my own reasoning. Anybody who is obsessive enough to check this place a few times a day (And we know that most of us do) are intense enough that we already have something going for us.
-Eric

ummm... cant help with the rest of your questions, but perhaps what you're experiencing is really an artifice of when you turned in your app.
i was complete in early november. i've gotten 6/12 interviews. i think its primarily because tons of apps are starting to roll in now and schools are getting swamped.
so dont worry about it yet.
if i had advice for a newbie it would be to be complete in like september. a lot of SDN folks are really good at turning stuff in and have been complete since like august or september. those are probably most of the follks you see who have completed tons of interviews already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Darkchild,

just wanted to take the opportunity to congratulate you on your acceptance to Cornell. That's awesome!

how much more likely are people to post good news than bad news? i know it takes me a lot longer to put my rejections up. plus, there are soooo many people who read these boards and are even registered, but contribute nothing (and those people who i know, not too mention names, but initials DM, RM, LD, to name a few, eh-hem) post-wise. they just want to read our wonderful advice ;) i'm sure if you averaged everyone out in their complete honesty, you'd just get our regular old med school applicant pool.

and for anybody reading this who will be applying in the future, GET YOUR APPS IN AND COMPLETE WITH LORs EARLY!!!! It'll make for a much easier senior year off (hehe, that's like one of those wheel of fortune before and after's). for a few more suggestions, see the (in)famous Jalby's Official Guide to applying to Med School

the above postees are right, it's all about the timing, don't stress! your app came in a little later so your interview will too, good luck!

first of all, I am a CA resident

I applied to 30, then sent secondaries to 21.

I so far have 12 interviews. I am not going to all due to financial dificulties.

UC's, so far UCI and UCLA. Why those? heck knows

hang in there and good luck

you asked how I made myself more attractive. I am in a rather special situation. My father died when I was young, my mother died of cancer while I was in college. I did lots and I mean lots of extracurricular activities.

got any acceptance letters yet?

Most SDN'ers are normal in all respects except for you, jwin.
heehee

Nah, I'm joking. I applied to 17, got something like 15 secondaries, only 6 interviews so far. Everything was complete after the october mcat.
I feel like this is not atypical at all. You have to look at the schools you're applying to and what kind of applicants are getting ignored by them. I've got the typical BU ignore that a lot of people on here have received, that, and the extremely slow Duke and UCSF situation are making me impatient.
But I know how you feel. I'm still stalking the mailman.
:laugh: