How about a D in a non-prereq science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sending PM

Thanks for the PM. Good luck and it's good to know you made it through. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps you should reread your first post, it is exactly as I described. You based a persons ability to face "the rigors of medical school" on a grade.

Here's my quote from my original post:

"Makes me wonder if the OP is fit for the rigors of medical training/career."

This statement is consistent with the rest of my posts. Again, I ask: Should a D on a transcript be followed up on? The answer is yes, as far as I'm concerned. I did not say: This person IS NOT fit for medical school, not am I that obtuse or closed-minded. Taken in context (this person had already been waitlisted and therefore "on the brink"), my original question was well founded. The OP committed the ultimate "crime" - I would liken it to a child being promised an ice-cream cone if they behaved. Then five minutes before getting the ice-cream, doing something royally wrong!! Why would they do that, right?? Silly analogy, but applicable.

On a separate note: geez I have way too much time on my hands now that I have nothing to do until graduation!

Here's my quote from my original post:

"Makes me wonder if the OP is fit for the rigors of medical training/career."

This statement is consistent with the rest of my posts. Again, I ask: Should a D on a transcript be followed up on? The answer is yes, as far as I'm concerned. I did not say: This person IS NOT fit for medical school, not am I that obtuse or closed-minded. Taken in context (this person had already been waitlisted and therefore "on the brink"), my original question was well founded. The OP committed the ultimate "crime" - I would liken it to a child being promised an ice-cream cone if they behaved. Then five minutes before getting the ice-cream, doing something royally wrong!! Why would they do that, right?? Silly analogy, but applicable.

On a separate note: geez I have way too much time on my hands now that I have nothing to do until graduation!

:laugh: Sounds like Animus is getting a kick out of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I pulled several C's, many many B's, and just enough A's. I also finished up with a strong upward trend (oh freshman year...) and had the EC's to explain the less than stellar GPA. I hope that the OP has a good MCAT, a very strong set of EC's, some good and extensive clinical experience, and an early application. That D is going to haunt them if them dont. I'm not trying to sit here and be like "oh man youre screwed!" You may or may not be screwed, unless you had a solid GPA before the D. If you were borderline, its time for a retake. The senioritis D is going to hurt (maturity question). Do I think a D should keep you out of medicine? I dont know about all that, I think you have to examine the entire body of work of the OP's CV. A lot of people here are really quick to write someone off because of one academic mishap (now if you have a felony...no, you should not be a doc). People here should really just relax a bit and quit being so dang uptight about stuff. I know its a super important thing, but cmon people, you could spend that time you are using to worry and strengthen your app, or even have fun...a foreign idea to some, I know. I am just being honest, the OP is going to need to legitimize whatever problems they have on their application, and they will have to explain them in detail during any interviews. It sucks, but its life. Make sure that personal statement is a strong and remember that life is not over if they dont get in, they can always strengthen the application and reapply. Regardless, best of luck to OP and I hope things work out for you.

Ditto, hence my continued arguing with you. Alas, I am done for now though, this one got boring ;)

Relax everyone, what's done is done. :cool:

If you have the time OP, retake it. Before I switched to pre-med I was a philosophy major and got a D in my intro to phil course. I was just really disappointed with the course and didn't want to do the work. Sure I regret it now and I'm retaking it next month at a community college.

good luck.

Who is he? I work with Jeff residents all the time. :thumbup:

Let me talk to him first. Just to see if he is cool with it. (some people might be a little weird about it. I don't know, I'd be cool with it, but my cousin, who is actually my second cousin, yeah I embellished, is a little high strung. he is very private and weird about a lot of things, including his freshman year at college. Plus I don't really talk to him that frequently)

But I'll talk to him and pm you.