How about a D in a non-prereq science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutievans

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Is that the reason you were waitlisted?

Is that the reason you were waitlisted?

It looks to me like the OP was waitlisted in the Fall and still slacked off in the spring, rather than buckling down and attempting a 4.0.

Makes me wonder if this is a trend. If so, JP is correct in his assessment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry but there's no reason why a person capable of completing medical school, passing 3 steps of board exams, etc. etc. should get a D in any class. Makes me wonder if the OP is fit for the rigors of medical training/career.

How about a D in a non-prereq science?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuqaaGFx4gM[/YOUTUBE]

I'm sorry but there's no reason why a person capable of completing medical school, passing 3 steps of board exams, etc. etc. should get a D in any class.

I hate to say this (gulp) but I kinda agree.

I got a couple of C's. Organic Chemistry II and German.

Orgo was hard and I just didnt get it.

German...well, I dont speak German, as my grade proved. I still dont speak German.

I am graduating, just found out I got a D...

Wow. I don't know what I would do or what I would think about that. You'd better come up with some pretty good explaining in the mean time--but life is not over. I'm sure that there are people with Ds in medical school, but I honestly don't know anybody who made one. If you've got the money, you might ant to try to take that again AND get a heck of an MCAT on top of it.

Is it an elective course that does not apply to your graduate requirements? I thought a D was considered non-passing at most schools?

Anyway, I'd retake the course. Even if you get moved off the wait list you may have a problem. Some schools require you to maintain "satisfactory academic standing" which means nothing lower than a C. If you did get off the wait list, they may bump your spot to the next person.

If you do not get in to a school for fall '07, I would definitly retake the course.

I have a few D's in non-prereq sciences (random geology courses and a course in astronomy) but that was about 15 yrs ago for me. My post-bacc GPA was 3.5. I have 2 acceptances and 2 waitlists.

I'm pretty sure that the adcoms didn't weigh my prior Ds too heavily, but they are my skeletons in the closet :)

I'm sorry but there's no reason why a person capable of completing medical school, passing 3 steps of board exams, etc. etc. should get a D in any class. Makes me wonder if the OP is fit for the rigors of medical training/career.

I disagree entirely. I got a 32 percent on a calc II exam and withdrew from the course... eventually retook it to get a B-... I guess I'm not capable of success in medical school. :rolleyes:

No doubt about it, the D was careless. That said, I got a C in a 400-level medical microbiology course this semester. First recorded C in college -- had two C+'s before it. I could see how senioritis could lead to a D but you should have kept that in C range. Oh well... I say retake the course if you feel that you need to...

I hate to say this (gulp) but I kinda agree.

I got a couple of C's. Organic Chemistry II and German.

Orgo was hard and I just didnt get it.

German...well, I dont speak German, as my grade proved. I still dont speak German.

Did you have problem with biochem in medical school because of orgo...I could not get orgo too...ended up with B...my only B in prereq...:( I am afraid that I'll not get biochem....

Did you have problem with biochem in medical school because of orgo...I could not get orgo too...ended up with B...my only B in prereq...:( I am afraid that I'll not get biochem....

Orgo wasn't my strong suit -- however, orgo had no bearing for biochem really. I aced the hell out of biochem. :thumbup:

Orgo in med school??...ROFLMAO.

Learn Organic Chem for the MCAT & forget it for the rest of your life. There's a reason why we call that a truism.

Orgo is just a weed out course that is difficult enough so that it distinguishes excellent students from average. We have a little thing called boards that do that in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree entirely. I got a 32 percent on a calc II exam and withdrew from the course... eventually retook it to get a B-... I guess I'm not capable of success in medical school. :rolleyes:

No doubt about it, the D was careless. That said, I got a C in a 400-level medical microbiology course this semester. First recorded C in college -- had two C+'s before it. I could see how senioritis could lead to a D but you should have kept that in C range. Oh well... I say retake the course if you feel that you need to...

I agree with you Max, I had one D on my transcript. Course it was thermodynamics and it was sophmore year of college. My trend went way up after and shot up in postbacc. If your trend goes from good to bad you are in trouble imo.

Someone who is going to be a physician should not allow senioritis to result in a D.

yes there are. Major illness (like cancer) being one.

Hey, I didn't want to be a quitter! Plus, I didn't know what was happening to me until the tumor was literally popping out of my neck Spring of freshman year.

Well then, you weren't feeling the symptoms of the tumor? I don't see a reason for making a D then.

yes there are. Major illness (like cancer) being one.

Things like this are excempt of course.

But you take a person who is capable of completing medical school and becoming a physician...well, there is no reason that they cannot perform well enough academically to at least hit a C...minimum.

Of course...I have met a few medical students over the years who probably had a hard time learning to tie their shoes. :rolleyes:

Well then, you weren't feeling the symptoms of the tumor? I don't see a reason for making a D then.

Sweetheart, how do you know the physiology of what was happening to me and when?

And why the heck am I explaining it to you? You're infamous for baiting people, and you're not on any adcom panels so your opinion means squat to pretty much everyone here.

And why the heck am I explaining it to you? You're infamous for baiting people, and you're not on any adcom panels so your opinion means squat to pretty much everyone here.

you%20go%20girl%20stamp.JPG

Sweetheart, how do you know the physiology of what was happening to me and when?

:laugh:

You say you didn't know you had a tumor until it was protruding from your neck. No vomiting, no other effects from the tumor. Tell me, was this tumor even malignant?

Now, if you had major problems related to the tumor, sure, I could "let you slide." However, in any case, you should have withdrawn (unless it "happened" towards the end of the spring semester -- in which case you didn't say so, either.)

Looks like you'll find out shortly, eh?

My original comment was both a challenge to the OP and a complement to those who've finished medical school/post-doc training. I don't give a rip about how someone managed to achieve a D (no matter the course) or why someone else dropped a course... I'm just saying that I'd be surprised if I came across a doctor who actually did that poorly in an undergraduate course given that medical students and physicians are typically intelligent AND self-motivated people. In the event that the person hadn't even started medical school, I would question their academic intelligence and/or their self-motivation - and therefore, there ability to meet the challenges of a formal medical education.

Am I way off base here? Somebody help me out if you think I am!

You say you didn't know you had a tumor until it was protruding from your neck. No vomiting, no other effects from the tumor. Tell me, was this tumor even malignant?

Now, if you had major problems related to the tumor, sure, I could "let you slide." However, in any case, you should have withdrawn (unless it "happened" towards the end of the spring semester -- in which case you didn't say so, either.)

Man invis you never give up :laugh:

Things like this are excempt of course.

But you take a person who is capable of completing medical school and becoming a physician...well, there is no reason that they cannot perform well enough academically to at least hit a C...minimum.

Of course...I have met a few medical students over the years who probably had a hard time learning to tie their shoes. :rolleyes:

:thumbup: I want a doctor who at least was able to stay awake and learn a little in class especially for their major. That goes double for med school!!!!!

Most med school requirements are appropriate to address this - min GPA around 3.0 (B average) and MCAT requirements. The rest (ECs, PS, LORS) being subjective and making/breaking applicants.

My point being that there are extenuating circumstances that adcoms will look at, or at least that's what I've been told by schools I'm interested in when I contacted them with that question.

Sending PM

My original comment was both a challenge to the OP and a complement to those who've finished medical school/post-doc training. I don't give a rip about how someone managed to achieve a D (no matter the course) or why someone else dropped a course... I'm just saying that I'd be surprised if I came across a doctor who actually did that poorly in an undergraduate course given that medical students and physicians are typically intelligent AND self-motivated people. In the event that the person hadn't even started medical school, I would question their academic intelligence and/or their self-motivation - and therefore, there ability to meet the challenges of a formal medical education.

So I guess all physicians since the dawn of time have been this way, from when they were born until the day they died?

So I guess all physicians since the dawn of time have been this way, from when they were born until the day they died?

Now youre getting ridiculous.

Now youre getting ridiculous.

Yeah no reason to argue my point on here I guess. I will just live the rest of my life to prove Valsalva wrong!!!!

How is that for motivation? :laugh:

I worry about the same. I got a D in my Calc class. This was my freshman year. My grades overall freshman year weren't strong due to many reasons...I hope it doesn't hold me back...it has me worried. As does the C I got in gen. chem I and Physics I...:scared: However, my grades are improving and I can only hope to continue that trend and kill the MCAT.

What??? Ridiculous is right. First, I used the word "typically" when I defined physicians as intelligent and self-motivated. Second, by it's very nature medicine demands that a person be, at least, the latter (self-motivated) - if only during the pre-med/medical school days.

I'm also in a similar situation. I failed weight lifting class about five years ago. Should I give up now?

Maybe, but that's perceived so much differently from making one in your senior year, after applying and interviewing at med schools. Upward trends= good.

Thanks..that's what i'm hoping schools see..I hate the fact my first couple semesters were horrible because it's still reflected in my GPA. i just hope they see the upward trend as a sign of what i'm truly capable of

I know people who have gotten into med school with d's and f's on their transcript. I'm not saying it is common, but it happens. Their excuse, and mine, is not an excuse at all. They admitted that they were a jacka** in undergrad and thought that college was simply for partying and having fun and not about work.

I cannot speak for them, but I know when I was in college applying to med school was not even a glint in my eye. Obviously I would have done things differently had I known, but I learned from my experience and am kicking a** now.

So to say that someone who got a D in college shouldn't be a physician is simply untrue and a pretty ridiculous statement.

My cousin, who failed out of college after his freshman year, bounced back, scored a 38S on his MCAT, graduated 2nd in his class in med school, scored outstanding on his boards, and is now a surgical resident at Jefferson, and is doing awesome.

So, after his freshman year of about a 0.8 GPA, he should have just given up because he was obviously not smart enough to be a doctor????????

My cousin, who failed out of college after his freshman year, bounced back, scored a 38S on his MCAT, graduated 2nd in his class in med school, scored outstanding on his boards, and is now a surgical resident at Jefferson, and is doing awesome.

Who is he? I work with Jeff residents all the time. :thumbup:

So to say that someone who got a D in college shouldn't be a physician is simply untrue and a pretty ridiculous statement.

Who in this thread either stated or implied that someone who has a D on his/her transcript shouldn't be a physician? I must have missed that post. I, for one, never stated such a thing nor be I believe that.

You are now officially the reigning biggest dick on all of SDN *hands over crown* Even I wouldn't sink that low..... :thumbdown:

Maybe you have forgotten what you posted. Although you did not say directly some one with a D should not be a physician you distinctly said you wondered if they could handle medical school.

I believe what he was saying was, that just because someone flunks out or has a bad grade or two it does not label them unfit for med school(which you clearly stated, not sure if you read your initial post again).

Yes, you are off base. I know two doctors personally (One I shadowed and one who was a family friend) who both got D's in undergrad. One even got an F. Both are practicing physicians. One is a derm, the other is in an internal medicine residency and thinking about a cardiology fellowship.

Maybe you have forgotten what you posted. Although you did not say directly some one with a D should not be a physician you distinctly said you wondered if they could handle medical school.

And you think it's unreasonable to wonder? How is wondering about someone's abilities (based upon their own performance) anything like barring them from matriculation. Wondering about items, good and bad, on an application essentially defines what ADCOMS do!!!

Yes, you are off base. I know two doctors personally (One I shadowed and one who was a family friend) who both got D's in undergrad. One even got an F. Both are practicing physicians. One is a derm, the other is in an internal medicine residency and thinking about a cardiology fellowship.

I'd be curious to know the circumstances surrounding the poor grades. Someone else on this forum brought up the issue of cancer. There are other circumstances (I'm sure) that might also have a profound effect on a person...if your doctor friends made those poor grades because of senioritis or because they drank too much, then yes...those are poor excuses and open to scrutiny (we can assume they are not academically "dim" because of their subsequent successes).

Again, I never said getting a D should prevent anyone from matriculation. With the exception of extenuating circumstances, it still surprises me when I hear of a doc. making D's and F's in undergrad...should I not be surprised when I hear of a dermatologist (or whatever) struggled in undergrad??

In the event that a person does make a C or worse, I believe additional scrutiny is appropriate and to withhold it would be irresponsible on the part of any ADCOM. If I were an interviewer, I'd simply ask "Why?" The answer to that question would largely define whether or not I could recommend that student to the rest of the committee.

And you think it's unreasonable to wonder? How is wondering about someone's abilities (based upon their own performance) anything like barring them from matriculation. Wondering about items, good and bad, on an application essentially defines what ADCOMS do!!!

I think forming an opinion about someone solely based on the idea of one or two grades is a joke...hence why I was accepted to med school I guess...

...I know two doctors personally (One I shadowed and one who was a family friend) who both got D's in undergrad. One even got an F...

That's not the point at all because the OP had already gone through interviews, was waitlisted at a couple of schools, and THEN got a D in the last semester of school. MOst med school acceptances are conditional-- conditional on the fact that you continue to make good grades. Making a D in the last semester (without having a really darned good reason) is enough to have your acceptance revoked.

Yes, it's possible to get in with a D or F, but having one early in your career as a college student is not necessarily bad. Showing that you were able to "buckle down" and improve your grades may actually be a good thing. Showing that you got to the end and slacked off (if that is the case) is NOT a good thing.

I think forming an opinion about someone solely based on the idea of one or two grades is a joke...hence why I was accepted to med school I guess...

Are you even reading my posts?? Seriously...read them again.

That's not the point at all because the OP had already gone through interviews, was waitlisted at a couple of schools, and THEN got a D in the last semester of school. MOst med school acceptances are conditional-- conditional on the fact that you continue to make good grades. Making a D in the last semester (without having a really darned good reason) is enough to have your acceptance revoked.

Yes, it's possible to get in with a D or F, but having one early in your career as a college student is not necessarily bad. Showing that you were able to "buckle down" and improve your grades may actually be a good thing. Showing that you got to the end and slacked off (if that is the case) is NOT a good thing.

Yeah sorry for getting this off topic, nice response Scpod. That is really all that matters here is that if you are on a waitlist and they see your recently updated grades showing a D I highly doubt they are takin you off that waitlist any time soon.

I would try and retake that grade, as has been said in this thread a bunch of times trends are very important.

Are you even reading my posts?? Seriously...read them again.

Perhaps you should reread your first post, it is exactly as I described. You based a persons ability to face "the rigors of medical school" on a grade.