how accurate are tuition/fees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magyarzorag

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
For example, the schools website says there's a $1000 "general fee", $550 dollar "administration fee" and other fees. Do these fees actually get charged/can you get out of them.

Also, in medical school, do you have to stick to a set curriculum (everyone takes the same classes), or can you skimp on electives that are not needed (like I know my school offers Spanish and community health courses), to shave a little bit off tuition. In undergrad, I was able to take 12 credits a semester to same money on the brochure's tuition, which was based on 15 credits/semester.

Also, I noticed that tuition was added for Summers during MS2-MS4. Is this just for remedial, or do med schools actually have classes you have to attend every summer (I bought you get time to research/study for boards)

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools operate on one curriculum that varies little from student to student. If there are electives, I don’t believe your tuition will vary if you choose to take those courses or not.

Typically, those fees you mentioned will be charged. The only thing that varies will be housing/utilities/general expenses, which schools like to put on their website to let you have a general idea about how much you will spend.

Med schools as a whole typically won't have required summer courses, but there might be variation. The only real way to find out for sure would be for you to call the school's admissions office or financial office.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
For example, the schools website says there's a $1000 "general fee", $550 dollar "administration fee" and other fees. Do these fees actually get charged/can you get out of them.

Also, in medical school, do you have to stick to a set curriculum (everyone takes the same classes), or can you skimp on electives that are not needed (like I know my school offers Spanish and community health courses), to shave a little bit off tuition. In undergrad, I was able to take 12 credits a semester to same money on the brochure's tuition, which was based on 15 credits/semester.

Also, I noticed that tuition was added for Summers during MS2-MS4. Is this just for remedial, or do med schools actually have classes you have to attend every summer (I bought you get time to research/study for boards)

1. These will be charged. Tuition/fees are pretty standard for all students.

2. No. Generally, curriculum will be the same for all students in MS1-2, and in MS3-4 you will have a set number of units/rotations you need to complete in order to stay a full-time student (i.e., loan eligible) and graduate. Tuition won’t be prorated if you only do the minimum.

3. The only summer you will get off is MS1 summer. You will likely have rotations in the summers for MS2-4, hence why they will charge tuition. Expect to pay it and be in school during those times.

The other thing to know about medical school is that the curriculum is mostly lecture/lab/small group discussion in the first 2 years with, with some exposure to patients (e.g. learning to do a physical exam and take a history). The second two years are mandatory "clerkships" (you spend 3-10 weeks in a specific clinical area such as pediatrics, OB-GYN, surgery, psychiatry/neurology, medicine) followed by "electives" in areas that are of interest based on what you'd like to do in residency. Some of these may be for the purpose of building skills and familiarity with specialties that you'll work with. Some of these may be "away rotations" where you are able to "audition" at a medical center where you'd like to do your residency training. Tuition is charged for these two years of hands-on training. Most of the training is in the clinic/inpatient units/operating suites but some lectures and case presentations and discussion are provided and usually have required attendance as part of the curriclum. There are exams during 3rd and 4th year.

Some schools cut the M2 year short and give students time to study for boards but then M3 starts immediately after board in the early summer or even late Spring. You are still paying tuition for M1, M2, M3, M4.

At least a year of residency training is required for licensure in the US. Most medical school graduates do at least 3 years of residency training. Some residencies are longer and some people choose to do a fellowship in a subspecialty after completing residency (for example: after internal medicine, a fellowship in cardiology; after orthopedic surgery, a fellowship in orthopedic trauma surgery) Residents and fellows are paid a modest wage given the hours worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users