How accurate is this graph?

Discussion in 'Finance and Investment' started by Dr. Galazkiewicz, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Dr. Galazkiewicz

Dr. Galazkiewicz Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mman

Mman Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have no reason to doubt it's accuracy, however it's important to note that those are the financial pictures of people who are applying to school, not some period of time after they graduate. So I'm not sure what the value of the information is. I mean it's interesting to look at, but for any 1 person their personal financial picture is way more relevant than some average of others applying.

4. LookForZebras

Attending Physician
    Like Mman, I have no reason to doubt it's accuracy, but I also can't verify it. I do have a question though.. why is there such a big difference between DO and MD applicants?

5. Mman

Mman Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My personal guess which is probably totally wrong is that many applicants to DO schools are people that already went through multiple cycles applying to MD schools and end up being slightly older and in more debt by the time they apply to the DO school.

(just a guess, not a judgment)

6. Stroganoff

Stroganoff Never give up.
    Rocket Scientist 10+ Year Member

Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.M.)? :thinking:

Hard to take the graph seriously. The only DOMs I'm familiar with comes post-workout.

7. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Questionable utility though it's unlikely to be very different for more than a decade after those loans are disbursed. Those MBAs are probably much smarter and frugal with their money.

8. redfish955

Non-Student
    I think it leaves out too many things like scholarships, regional school costs and work opportunities, and ect. A simple statistic such as 75% of MD applicants had scholarships for undergrad could greatly change things. I think the only thing to take from the article is don't go to an expensive private school unless your going to be making bank. Could you imagine racking up 150k of debt to become a school teacher or 200k in debt at a bad law school?

9. WholeLottaGame7

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A more interesting graph would be of net worths 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 years after graduation.

10. BorntobeDO?

BorntobeDO? SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I find it hard to believe the average DO student has 60k of assets predegree. 125k of debt going in, is sadly somewhat believable tho for many.