Sep 20, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I literally will spend more than 20 hours a week on Netflix, and only dedicate an hour to two hours 2-3 days before a big exam or quiz. For instance, I waited the day before my Orgo quiz to actually learn how to apply the material that I just learned 3 days prior but yet I scored a 100%. Now is this luck or what?

Right now I'm passing all of my courses, but is this just me or am I being too overconfident in my studying? I have a big anthropology exam tomorrow worth 48% and after going over the study guide I noticed that I new every single material on there, so only thing I had to do was look over it and recall a few things (after taking notes out book a few weeks ago, I am able to recall what I wrote). Now I'm ready for my exam tomorrow ;);););););). Not to mention that I'll write my essay the day before it's due and get A's on them (I'm real good at English).

I can't really pin point it but I feel like I'm in school but then I'm not because I'm not really doing anything and I have too much free time on my hands.

Does anybody else feel like this? Should I change how I'm going about things because it hasn't affected me yet but I know one day it will catch me up.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
I literally will spend more than 20 hours a week on Netflix, and only dedicate an hour to two hours 2-3 days before a big exam or quiz. For instance, I waited the day before my Orgo quiz to actually learn how to apply the material that I just learned 3 days prior but yet I scored a 100%. Now is this luck or what?

Right now I'm passing all of my courses, but is this just me or am I being too overconfident in my studying? I have a big anthropology exam tomorrow worth 48% and after going over the study guide I noticed that I new every single material on there, so only thing I had to do was look over it and recall a few things (after taking notes out book a few weeks ago, I am able to recall what I wrote). Now I'm ready for my exam tomorrow ;);););););). Not to mention that I'll write my essay the day before it's due and get A's on them (I'm real good at English).

I can't really pin point it but I feel like I'm in school but then I'm not because I'm not really doing anything and I have too much free time on my hands.

Does anybody else feel like this? Should I change how I'm going about things because it hasn't affected me yet but I know one day it will catch me up.
Sweet humblebrag. Teach me your ways. :bow::bow:

Are you at a grade inflated school? You might like this easy does it atmosphere now, but junior year when you need to ace the MCAT you might end up crying due to lack of recognition of the material. Just be wary of that. You could also be an absolute genius with an amazing photographic memory, but even the smartest of us have to put in work in our BCPM classes, so I'm more inclined to believe the former in your case.

OP
K
Sep 20, 2015
Status
Are you at a grade inflated school? You might like this easy does it atmosphere now, but junior year when you need to ace the MCAT you might end up crying due to lack of recognition of the material. Just be wary of that. You could also be an absolute genius with an amazing photographic memory, but even the smartest of us have to put in work in our BCPM classes, so I'm more inclined to believe the former in your case.
True. That is why I'm considering if changing my ways. Maybe when I take BioChem and Physics next semester I will delete Netflix.

OP
K
Sep 20, 2015
Status
It's great being just inherently better than everyone else, isn't it?
No? It's from me reading so many books. I literally read 51 books in the month of may and I like to read a lot because it helps with memory and vocabulary.

OP
K
Sep 20, 2015
Status
Same. You should probably get your book weight up though. Read 93 myself, and my vision was out half the month due to having LASIK.
Really? And how did you read so many books such as that in one month?

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Has there ever been a day when there WASN'T a troll post on SDN? Someone do some research and get back to me, cause I have so much free time that I don't know what to do with myself.

OP
K
Sep 20, 2015
Status
Oh, you're "real good at English"? Yet you "new every single material on there". Lawl, troll.
Yes, guys I'm good at English. Actually, I'm too good at English. I've scored high on a lot of standardized tests when it comes to English. But I'm not good at math and that's why I received a 17 in math on my ACT because I thought I was too good to study for it.

OP
K
Sep 20, 2015
Status
are you an only child? they say children without siblings are really in tune to their talents
No, I have 4 other sisters but we all hate one another. I'm just close with my second oldest but we argue a lot.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, guys I'm good at English. Actually, I'm too good at English. I've scored high on a lot of standardized tests when it comes to English. But I'm not good at math and that's why I received a 17 in math on my ACT because I thought I was too good to study for it.
Bro same. SAT reading comp I just was like screw it. Only landed a 775. STUPIDest mistake of my life bro.

(btw that wasn't a grammar mistake. That was irony. Sorry if your brain is too small to comprehend it. And yes that was double irony.)

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
No, I have 4 other sisters but we all hate one another. I'm just close with my second oldest but we argue a lot.
Dude. Guys like us -- our families don't understand. They try to subjugate us out of jealousy. Don't sweat it, as you are far superior to them. They will soon learn.

May 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student

a quiz for orgo? You're school must be easy...we just had 3 exams including final

Reactions: Easonred57

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Honestly, you probably are too good at English. Are you pursuing medicine? If so, I'd forgo that pursuit and consider applying to the Elite English Institute of the World. It's very selective (around 0.00001% of applicants matriculate); but if admitted, I've heard of base salaries around 1.5 million, with specializing options such as the Too Much Free Time fellowship which may interest you.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
You don't get to humble brag till you at least have an mcat
Preallo in a nutshell. Now we'll see more threads of people scoring >520 and >4.0 with too much free time in their hands.

tenblackalps

2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I have a big anthropology exam tomorrow worth 48% and after going over the study guide I noticed that I new every single material on there, so only thing I had to do was look over it and recall a few things (after taking notes out book a few weeks ago, I am able to recall what I wrote).
Maybe use some of that free time to proofread? ;)

pyrrion89

PGY-1, MD
May 29, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Is everyone else getting good scores? Maybe your class is easy.

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Most people that go to grade inflated schools, tend to have a harder time with the MCAT. Unless you prepare accordingly..

tenblackalps

2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Medical Student
you should apply for mensa it will definetily help for med school its worth 8 lizzy m score points

Last edited:
Reactions: StudyLater

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
Probably thanks to Jesus, tbh

GiveMeThatMD

Consider this thread DERAILED.
2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
True. That is why I'm considering if changing my ways. Maybe when I take BioChem and Physics next semester I will delete Netflix.
K, line drawn. There's obviously a few screws loose. If you can't handle the heat of the compounding stress of being an intellectual genius and Netflix, then a serious change needs to be made. A's get baes, but Netflix is forever.

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
Honestly I had a similar experience but at some point memorization, fast reading, learning by recognition, extra-special magic multiple choice skills, rad regurgitation skills will not cut it. It will catch up with you.

The fact you are having issues with math? Points to some problem solving skill deficit, and the fact that most people have to actually practice solving problems to do well at higher end science/math classes.

If school is not hard enough, you need to add on part time jobs, volunteering, and extra curriculars until you truly are working 80 hrs a week.

A lot of time as a doc is not working your intellect to the max, but spending hours and hours checking boxes and doing paper scut bitch work and putting on a smiley face while people blab at you and waste your time.

You ned the work tolerance of 80 hours a week, even if the 6 am to 8pm day you're having is mostly wiping ass at an old folks home.

Don't matter how smart you are, putting in hours is putting in hours.

Try some mind numbing repetitive work like sorting cans for a food kitchen.

Do some blue collar work that leaves your feet and back aching just so you know what work feels like.

If you don't pick up good work and study habits while you have the luxury, by the time you're being hit with a fire hose in med school it will be too late at some point thereafter to develop the discipline before you drown.

I didn't think school plus my part time jobs and ECs and research going up to 80 hrs a week were hard from an intellectual standpoint until I was in my last year doing some really really high end science, and certain courses in med school by virtue of amount of material. Before then it was really just hard from a work every hour you're awake standpoint.

What became a challenge for anyone I know who in med school and is just a genius that looks at material and gets 100% was going in to clerkships and then later as second yr residents doing 30 hour shifts, writing 12 H&Ps, admitting 12 patients, transferring 7 out with summaries, accepting 5 transfers, and discharging 5 with d/c summaries, while answering 80 pages, at the end of their 80 hour week, after working 12 days straight and keeping sick as **** patients alive.

Work is work my friend. Make it your friend, because breezing by quizzes in college is not what life after college will be like at all.

May 23, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical

wat.

I mean… wat.

NonTrad16

2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student

A hundred on a quiz isn't all that exciting. Passing isn't all that impressive. Excelling while doing other things (working, volunteering, etc) is far more impressive (/necessary) for medical school admissions. If your ECs are reading books and Netflix, and you've succeeded because you've never really challenged yourself, your app will fall short. There are great benefits of leaving your comfort zone and pushing yourself to achieve anyways.

Also, never ask this question in real life (assuming you're not joking). Someone will justifiably roll their eyes.

Vespasian

"Vae, puto deus fio!"
Apr 4, 2014
The South...
Status
Other Health Professions Student
For instance, I waited the day before my Orgo quiz to actually learn how to apply the material that I just learned 3 days prior but yet I scored a 100%. Now is this luck or what?
I'm not sure how it as at other schools, but my first ochem exam had some topics that were built on simple gen chem topics. The only thing that was completely foreign to me was IR spec. This might explain why the material was easy to tackle with cramming.

Are you at a grade inflated school? You might like this easy does it atmosphere now, but junior year when you need to ace the MCAT you might end up crying due to lack of recognition of the material.
^^This. You might be smashing your quizzes now with cramming but not mastering the material.