How and when did you get faster at PAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnimaasMED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been doing the CDP tests but I feel like I will never be able to finish all questions in the given time. I scored a 18 when I took the test in 1.30 hour but my score went down to a 15 when I tried to finish in 60 min :(

How long do you spend on each section? In particular, hole punching and cube counting are sucking up my time. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been doing the CDP tests but I feel like I will never be able to finish all questions in the given time. I scored a 18 when I took the test in 1.30 hour but my score went down to a 15 when I tried to finish in 60 min :(

How long do you spend on each section? In particular, hole punching and cube counting are sucking up my time. :eek:

don't worry, hole punching and cube counting are MUCH easier on the real DAT (Canadian one anyways).
Get TFE, Patterns, Keyholes, and Angles down well, and you should be good.

Angles is where I always make the most mistakes. The angles are just too hard to differentiate most of the time =(

I use to get frustrated as well. I used Crack DAT PAT and practice. It was hard at first but then it slowly became bearable (that's what she said).

I think that you and I are on the same boat. But don't worry about It!

I bought my Crack DAT-PAT two weeks ago, and when I tried to answer question. Oh boy!! it was 100 times harder than Kaplan BB problems and my eyes were spinning.... i got so frustrated.

Past two weeks, I have spent about 45min-1hr on PAT sorta everyday. I just go to cafe with my laptop and do a random test for any section. At first, doing merely 5question was tough, but as you do more, your brain and eyes start to pick it up. (ur brain starts looking at those lines and see the delicate differences). And then you do 10 questions instead of 5 questions... etc..

The way I do is that I go about 10-15 qs and go over all the questions. and then do another section so on.....

I haven't tried the entire PAT section yet, I believe that PAT is the part where slow&steady will pay off the most since it is not like you memorize hormone names, it is more like your brain get exposed to that kinda of brain-exercises and sharpening itself.

Hope this helps! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, the sections that takes the least amount of time to the most amount of time are:
angles < cube counting < hole punching< key holes < pattern folding < TFE

The reason why angles should take the least amount of time is pretty obvious (although I took a little more time to discern between small angles on the real DAT vs. Kaplan's).

Cube counting should be fast as well as long as you are capable of visualizing faces of cubes. Make a chart of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and etch down a mark for all the cube's faces before answering the questions. I saved time by not adding up the total etches and counting the total amount of blocks but you can include this step if you are unsure of your accuracy. In essence, total counting time should take no more than 1.5-2.5 minutes and you get to answer 2-3 questions in 8 more seconds with relatively high accuracy!

Hole punching I think is less time consuming than the others because you don't have to look at all the choices and eliminate them one by one as you would for keyhole and pattern folding. Learn to visualize the folding, remember where holes would be and then finding the correct answer. It may not come naturally for a lot of people but it'll cut you a lot of time for the more time consuming sections.

Pattern folding: I don't think there are any special tricks to this section. I try to fold the object at hand into the answer choices one by one. Sometimes I get it right on my first try, sometimes I don't but if you can learn to look for special shapes and shadings (including what's adjacent, what's across from it) you should be able to blaze through this section pretty fast and still keeping accuracy. After all, if you can fold it into the shape then it must be the right answer!

Keyholes: This section is my personal favorite but it is also the section where I get most wrong from (though I am still convinced that kaplan practice questions have a lot of answers that are wrong!). I'm not sure what crack the PAT has in it, but Kaplan I found was good enough to prepare you for the real thing (it's actually easier than kaplan). For this section, it takes more time to go through if you want to maintain accuracy since you must go through each answer choice. Learn to manipulate the shape in your head and try to fit the object through each one of the answer choices. As the great Sherlock Holmes once said, "once you've eliminated the impossible, the remaining choices no matter how improbable must be the truth!" Same idea here, eliminate what is impossible and you'll often arrive at the right answer (whether you see it fit through or not).

Lastly, TFE: I'm not sure what strategy is best used here. Kaplan teaches line counting but it really didn't come in very handy on the real thing. On the real thing, I can generally narrow the answers down to one or two that would require more detailed examination to arrive at the right answer. Once I narrow it down to 2, I look for the differences between the two choices and find the first discrepancy that will inevitably lead me to the right answer. Again, the key here is to be able to visualize the object. I won't lie, I think I'm pretty good at visualizing folding and 3-D objects but I am actually quite terrible at converting a 2-D image to a 3-D one (especially when I'd see it as popping out when it is actually popping in). However, if you can rotate the object just from front to top then top to side, you can often reason out which should be a dashed line and which should be solid!

Hope that helps, I typed up a storm!

Edit: P.S. I had around 12 minutes leftover from my PA section on the real DAT. I used the time to double check my cube counting (yes, I counted every single cube stack and re-answered all the questions) and double checked my pattern folding and angles as I thought those were my strongest sections and I didn't want to miss a question that should be impossible to miss if you count right (cube counting). I decided to check my cube counting because I doubted myself but I actually shouldn't have because the sections I revisited were all correct up to my knowledge. I think on the real thing I probably missed a couple of hole punching because I blazed through those pretty quick :/

just make sure you are using the right techniques for highest efficiency (accuracy and time), and then from there on in... practice! The more you do them, the faster they get.

CDP tracks time/question. If you are struggeling with a specific type of question, you can let us know what your strategy is and we can help inform you if you are approaching it the right way. Aside from that, practice and you'll eventually get it :p

For cube counting, what helps most is just counting what the cubes are row by row. I just jot down what it is... i.e. 1 3 4 3 5, etc... and then go on to the next row and do the same. That way my eyes stay focused on the screen. Then whatever the question asks, I answer automatically. Since doing this I've been getting all the questions right on CDP. This should be a section where you get most, if not all your points.

I hope that helps.

For cube counting, what helps most is just counting what the cubes are row by row. I just jot down what it is... i.e. 1 3 4 3 5, etc... and then go on to the next row and do the same. That way my eyes stay focused on the screen. Then whatever the question asks, I answer automatically. Since doing this I've been getting all the questions right on CDP. This should be a section where you get most, if not all your points.

I hope that helps.

i agree
cube counting, TFE, and Keyhole are where i get the most points
i lose the most points on Angles, Hole Punches, and the stupid Patterns.
I HATE the patterns with a dice or something, and instead of the normal dice dots, they have those stupid lines that point into a corner.

Haha, I think the dice ones are one of the easiest that you can get! You can generally easily tell which will be the "top" and "bottom" of the dice and the others will have to be in the order that they put them in so you know which is adjacent to which. Next all you have to do is rotate them to see if they match any of your answer choices!

One of the great things that I did was get the cdp with the extra questions for cube counting, hole punching, and angles (which are not as good as the cube counting and hole punching questions). Every day for about a month I would spend about 6 minutes on each section doing as many as I could. At first these sections seem to be hard. Many people have methods how to do them (the grid for hole punching, and jotting down the row 1,2,3,4,5 etc. for cube counting). So I began doing those sections with those methods and eventually found myself being able to do these sections in my head really quickly. This saved me alot of time when doing the actual cdp tests. After practice, the rest of the sections also pick up in terms of speed. After a while I was able to finish the tests with plenty of extra time to review them. The way to really master this section is to just practice alot!

Can anyone explain better the grid for hole punching?..And cube counting basically write on a paper 1-5 rows and on each row you write how many of the cubes are there? Is that correct? Thanks.

I'm having the same exact problems as the OP, keyholes is the only section i have down cold get between 13-15/15 on it but the rest are always a crapshoot! it's so frustrating...for TFE i get around 9-11/15 i sometimes use line counting but overall try to see the object in 3D (clearly not working out lol) angles are well u all know how those are, hole punching i use the grid method and have a laminated sheet the weird folds really throw me off and i take my most time on this section....for cube counting i tried the tally method but didnt like it cuz i saw that when my eyes left the screen to look at my tally's id lose my place when i came back...so now i keep my eye on the cubes and have a point of origin and just start writing down the numbers(how many faces painted) as i see them. pattern folding i can do very well on if i had the time left over from the other sections but due to time constraint i end up guessing on a lot just so i don't omit anything....

mprs there u go these are my approaches can anyone help? I know I must practice and i have been but im just hesitant to use cdp for just practicing specific sections bc then when i go to do them in full later ill def remember a few...where else can i get extra pat questions? I have kbb and barrons and i dont like them everyone says cdp is the most accurate thing out there.

Can anyone explain better the grid for hole punching?..And cube counting basically write on a paper 1-5 rows and on each row you write how many of the cubes are there? Is that correct? Thanks.

What you do for the 4X4 grid is you draw 3 lines horizontal and 3 vertical, kinda like a tic tac toe grid. Then put x's where you believe the holes should be when you unfold your paper. The x's should match your answer. Or at leas they should...lol. I started using this on my last 2 practice tests and have beeen getting 13/15 or so right. So, once you get the jist of it, it definitely works! = ) I hope that helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAT-PAT-Dental-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caebad17e

This guy has practice PAT problems in a big word document that he sells on ebay for like 5 bucks - I didn't want to spend a hundred dollars on PAT software so I bought this to see what it was like. Honestly, I think it is definitely worth 5 bucks ha but that is about all its worth. It did help me study for the PAT a lot even if I think a few of the answers are wrong on it ha

Anyway, just thought I would post this in case there was anyone just looking for random practice problems that were really cheap

I used only topscore, Kaplan's DAT review (which doesn't have much PAT), and this guys word document off ebay ha and I got a 21PAT

Good luck!

And NO I am not the ebayer selling it haha