MSW How and where do LCSW's get training in psychotherapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it included in the standard MSW curriculum or is it training they get post grad?

Are all LCSW's trained and able to perform psychotherapy?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it included in the standard MSW curriculum or is it training they get post grad?

No, not necessarily. This is one of the issues I have with the current licensing system. The LCSW (and all other equal variations) covers direct practice social work. This could be case management, medical social work, or service delivery (e.g., housing resources). There are certain curriculum required for clinical licensure, and a separate licensing test, but they too are very general so as to include all of these areas of practice. That's why it is so important to research the programs you are applying to based on what you hope to do with your degree to ensure the course curriculum and field placements are geared towards that area of practice. It is also why you have some MSWs who know next to nothing about psychotherapy, or mental health in general, with the same credentials as those whose focus was on just that. It is a serious problem if you ask me, because these types of individuals could theoretically end up with a job as a counselor down the road at some community agency with little to no formal training. That's bad for the clients and the field as a whole for obvious reasons. So, whether you're looking for a program or a therapist, do your research.

No, not necessarily. This is one of the issues I have with the current licensing system. The LCSW (and all other equal variations) covers direct practice social work. This could be case management, medical social work, or service delivery (e.g., housing resources). There are certain curriculum required for clinical licensure, and a separate licensing test, but they too are very general so as to include all of these areas of practice. That's why it is so important to research the programs you are applying to based on what you hope to do with your degree to ensure the course curriculum and field placements are geared towards that area of practice. It is also why you have some MSWs who know next to nothing about psychotherapy, or mental health in general, with the same credentials as those whose focus was on just that. It is a serious problem if you ask me, because these types of individuals could theoretically end up with a job as a counselor down the road at some community agency with little to no formal training. That's bad for the clients and the field as a whole for obvious reasons. So, whether you're looking for a program or a therapist, do your research.

Good insight! So what do you propose since you work in the profession should be done to clear up the confusion and variations in program training?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a big question, there are lots of things that could be done to tidy up the current system without addressing this additional problem. As is, licensing isn't even uniform across states (LICSW, LMSW-C, LCSW, etc. - all to refer to a clinical social worker). I think even moving direct, non-mental health practice social workers to the policy licensure would be a good start (LMSW for all non-therapy oriented practice and LCSW for those planning to engage in any form of treatment). One way might be to narrow the focus of the two separate tests (generalist practice test and clinical practice) to ensure that it encompasses all the fundamental information any beginning LCSW should know instead of the broader context it covers now, like direct generalist practice. Honestly, it's a lot easier to point out its short comings than solve them, but creating more well defined license-related practice boundaries, or something along these lines, would probably be a good step.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's ideas on this subject..

Reactions: 1 user
It's tough because we need the spectrum of SW services, so the license is hard to apply to ALL of the areas since a good portion of them are not direct clinical services (as compared to other licensures like LMFT, LMHC, etc). I really value our SWers' knowledge of social services and ability to navigate the chaos, as that is something our setting lacks. They also can curb a meltdown until reinforcements arrive, as they utilize more supportive counseling than a full blown framework like CBT. It's worth noting that supportive counseling is much different than an EBTs, so that is where I think a counselor, psychologist, or similar is probably better suited for ongoing therapy work. The rub is that out in private practice (I believe most states allow independent practice w. enough hours and licensure) a SWer can often do most/all of what a counselor can do…including in-depth traditional psychotherapy. I'm not sure I have a great answer for how to span ALL of that without driving up cost of separate licensure exams (Social Services v. Therapy….something like that) and then there are so many nuances in county and state law that the exam would be a bear to design, etc.

To answer your questions, yes, LCSW's are able to perform psychotherapy. In Texas and some States, they are considered independent mental-health providers and can own a private practice or work in an agency or group practice. LCSW's obtain psychotherapy knowledge and trainings in the MSW graduate program and post MSW as well. We need at least 30 CEUs every 2 years to keep our license and many hours of clinical supervision prior to obtain the LCSW credential. As MSW training and licensure requirements vary in different schools and States, I can only speak to Texas where I obtained my MSW degree and work.

The MSW curriculum (clinical track) in my school requires clinical courses such as Assessment, Evaluation, Transtheoretical: CBT, DBT, Brief Targeted Intervention, DSM and offers Electives in Group Therapy, Grief Counseling, Trauma counseling, etc. All MSW students start out with the foundation semester (unless they have BSW), where they learn direct social work practices, human behavior in social environment (HBSE), social work code of ethics, social justice, policy, and research. In addition to classes, 900 hours in practicum are required (16 to 20 hours/week over 4 to 6 semesters), where students are supervised by experienced LMSWs/LCSWs to learn direct social work practice and clinical skills.

In order to obtain an LCSW credential in Texas, one must first have an LMSW, which is an initial licensure after you get an MSW degree and pass the Social Work State Board licensure exam. Then, as an LMSW, you work full-time for at least 2 years, or part-time for 4 years, in a clinical/behavioral health setting and start accumulating clinical supervision hours. If you are lucky, your workplace will pay for or provide a Board-approved LCSW supervisor, and if not, you will pay for outside supervision out of your pocket. Once you get with your supervisor, you both will work on writing a clinical supervision plan and submit to the Social Work State Board, which is a long and painful process, and it takes about 3 months to get the formal approval letter back. You are required to meet with your supervisor for at least once a week (minimum 4 hours/month) during those two years to discuss patient/client's cases, treatment plan, progress, and modalities, etc. As an LMSW under clinical supervision, you can provide psychotherapy but cannot bill for your services. Once you finish your supervision and clinical hours, and work for at least 2 years (usually more), assume your clinical hours are approved, you then apply to take the LCSW licensure exam with the Social Work State Board and hopefully pass... phew! So, it will take at least 2.5 to 3 years post MSW to obtain an LCSW...

After you get your LCSW, there are many CEUs trainings you can take to keep up with and advance your clinical skills. Hope it helps.

Last edited: