How are MCAT scores scaled?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radioactive15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they have the scale set before the MCAT is even administered?

Otherwise, do they scale based on the raw scores of people who took the MCAT on the same day, same month, or same week?

Rough estimate, how many people take the MCAT across the U.S. on a given test date?

Members don't see this ad.

Given that MCAT scores can be used over three application cycles, they have to use preset scales in order to make the scores valid across multiple years worth of MCAT exams. This has been on their site at different times. To do so, they need some previously administered passages and a data set for those questions from previous test takers. What you will not find is how many years worth of scores are included in any pre-curve they apply to selected passages.

At this point I'm speculating, but it would seem reasonable that the scores from a given administration are combined with the pre-existing curve to generate a hybrid curve for that particular administration of the exam.

AS for testers on a given day, that varies with test center availability and student demand. I believe they are capable of getting close to 8000 test takers if every possible seat were filled. Somewhere I think I read that there are roughly 6000 people who sign up for a test date, so maybe 5700 show up.