Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would have liked the clinical and shadowing hours to be more but hospitals are closed to volunteers where I live.

clinical:
70 hours ED volunteer
10 hours telemetry floor volunteer
55 hours, misc volunteer in hospital (helping nurses discharge patients by transport on wheelchairs, directing patients to doctors offices or floors, etc.)

shadowing:
30 hours primary care MD

non clinical:
70 hours- local church volunteer.
55 hours food bank volunteer
85 hours tutoring math and bio
It's not awful, but it's about the bare minimum that you could apply with and stand a reasonable shot of acceptance. In particular, I'm honestly a little dubious about how filming church will be received--that feels more like just a hobby than actual volunteering. Tutoring is also a little questionable, unless you really were getting out of your comfort zone and working with the less fortunate. Finally, you kind of described what you did for the "misc" volunteering, but the details of what you actually did in the other volunteer gigs and how involved you were with patients really matter especially when you're basically just clearing the minimum hour thresholds.

If the rest of your app is strong you can apply, but definitely continue to bump these hours up so you can talk about your experiences on interviews. Plus everyone should be maximizing their chances as a potential reapplicant as soon as they submit.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.