How are OMFS residencies handling COVID19?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RIPHarambe4

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious to hear how OMFS residencies and CODA are handling the current COVID19 pandemic. I understand that in most cases there aren't any elective surgeries being performed. Is there a possibility that chief residents will graduate late? I'm sure this is program specific, but for instance I read where Vanderbilt and WHC do around 380 OMFS service IV sedations per year. The CODA website states that the minimum requirement for OMFS service IV sedations is 125 per residents. Since both of those programs have 3 residents per class that would mean each resident ends up with right around 125 on service sedations in a normal scenario. Surely, due to the COVID19 crisis a few chiefs won't be reaching that 125 minimum. Has CODA given residencies any leniency like they have dental schools? The liability of lowering IV sedation requirements for residents seems greater than lowering a few crown units for dental students. Any info from current residents would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

CODA granted the PD of every program temporary flexibility to alter graduation requirements or come up with alternative measures of experience and competency.

Reactions: 1 user
Its actually 150 cases per chief for ambulatory IV Sedation cases but a total of 300 cases in total including general anesthesia, but I agree with the comments above from GimmetheScalpel. :zip: