How are people doing with destroyer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

als33

Reaction score
I have about 2months and a half left for DAT, and I started to solve the destroyer problems for chemistry. I am missing A LOT.
I try to solve 40 problems a day, but I almost always miss like 15-20 problems every day, and now I am getting concerned. Are destroyer problems much harder than DAT? Or is it similar...and I am just doing really bad?
I tried to solve practice test 1 from Bootcamp a few weeks ago, and I got 22 (I didn't finish learning some materials, and I missed quite a few from there). But whenever I solve destroyer, I am only getting 50% of the questions correct. It feels like my background knowledge is weak, and sometimes it feels like the destroyer is overdoing stuff.

What are your comments with the destroyer? Everyone recommends doing destroyer but it feels like it is way more difficult than the practice test questions / Question Bank in Boootcamp.

Members don't see this ad.

The destroyer is much more difficult then the DAT. Destroyer is also usually multi step questions which there really aren’t any on the DAT. Focus on what you get wrong and break it down and see where you messed up. Chads videos and Romano’s YouTube channel do a good job of explaining every type of question you can see.

I have about 2months and a half left for DAT, and I started to solve the destroyer problems for chemistry. I am missing A LOT.
I try to solve 40 problems a day, but I almost always miss like 15-20 problems every day, and now I am getting concerned. Are destroyer problems much harder than DAT? Or is it similar...and I am just doing really bad?
I tried to solve practice test 1 from Bootcamp a few weeks ago, and I got 22 (I didn't finish learning some materials, and I missed quite a few from there). But whenever I solve destroyer, I am only getting 50% of the questions correct. It feels like my background knowledge is weak, and sometimes it feels like the destroyer is overdoing stuff.

What are your comments with the destroyer? Everyone recommends doing destroyer but it feels like it is way more difficult than the practice test questions / Question Bank in Boootcamp.
Hi, I wanted to address your concerns. After working with students for many years I have learned a lot on how to get a high DAT score. The DAT Destroyer is not meant to be used for timing but learning, If you are missing half the problems now, who cares, focus on areas of weakness and make it a strength. It is better to discover now any areas of weakness rather than on test day. The Destroyer will cover all areas you will encounter on the DAT exam, students fail to take into consideration there are many different versions of the DAT and one students experience may be different than yours. It is important to be VERY prepared to avoid a retake. I have many many emails from students retaking the DAT that didn't spend enough time focusing on the concepts and relied on practice test scores to determine the predicted DAT scores, you can score higher or lower, if you focus on learning IMO you will be better off.
The DAT Destroyer is challenging but so is the DAT.
, if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me.

#think30

Wishing you the best, hang in there.

Nancy, co/owner, DAT Destroyer, orgoman.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

The Destroyer is certainly has a very challenging set of questions, but I think it prepares you incredibly well for the DAT. Once you can do all of the problems in the book with ease, most of the DAT questions will be a literal breeze by comparison. I'd say for the first time through myself, I always did about as well as you did - getting anywhere from a third to half of the questions correct. And that's definitely okay! The book is an ideal resource when you go through it more than once, and at minimum twice.

While some people swear by BC, be careful relying on the scores there. No testing service can accurately predict your score, as the actual exam could test entirely different topics not covered by the practice exam. While you may get a 22 on topics you have a decent grasp on, if the actual exam covers only the topics you're not comfortable with you may end up doing worse unfortunately. Having a solid knowledge base is important for that, and I think working through the Destroyer slowly and understanding all of the answers can really help with that.

Hopefully that helps some. with 2.5 months left, you may still be okay and ready to take it when the time comes! If you're still feeling like you are now in a few weeks time, it might be worth pushing the test back a bit to make sure you have a solid knowledge base.

Best of luck!

Don’t worry about how much you’re getting wrong as long as you are focusing on learning from the explanations. If the explanation isn’t clear enough, pull out a textbook or Google until you are comfortable with the subject. Your goal from this is to gain the knowledge to explain why every answer choice is either right or wrong. You’ll get there eventually. 2.5 months is plenty.