How are problems with assistants handled in the Navy or other branches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eric275

Prosthodontist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard different views from active duty dentists on their experiences with dental assistants. How does the Navy handle the issue if an assistant is not doing their job and what if anything are we able to do to fix the situation?

Are assistants actually assigned to a specific doc or do they float? If there are problems how is it addressed within the rank structure. Does it get taken up with the OIC then back down to the LPO who addresses the problem?

As a junior officer are we involved in any way with their evals?

Members don't see this ad.

it depends if you are talking about GS/contractor techs or enlisted dental tech corpsmen. shoreside, where i am for the next few weeks, we have way more contractors, most of whom are entrenched enough to get away with doing just enough to get by...there are only a few proactive assistants. and mine isnt one of them. out in the fleet, they are more likely to be young enlisted...way more malleable to doing things to the doc's preferences. if you end up as the DivO (esp on a one holer), you write the fitreps for your chiefs and the evals for your junior enlisted.