How are procedures priced?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey i was wondering if anyone had any general clue as to what the popular procedures cost a patient ( i know it may vary depending on area but like the median cost)..... how reimbursments work and will affect you? ...... and is it true that podiatric surgeries can go up to $20,000 depending on the case ??

{Note} : If you dont know !!!! dont comment ... i am not interested in hearing BS and being told what to post and not to post ..... if you dont know!!!! dont reply just leave the thread..... again if you dont know!!!!! just dont speculate and continue with your everyday life.... THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding, you can charge a patient anything you wish for a procedure. However, medicare/medicaid and insurance companies will only reimburse you a set rate, which varies depending on the insurance provider. I know a podiatrist in my area, who is reimbursed by insurance about $1100 for a bunionectomy (30 min procedure)

Leaving the thread ------------------------> NOW:ninja:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey i was wondering if anyone had any general clue as to what the popular procedures cost a patient ( i know it may vary depending on area but like the median cost)..... how reimbursments work and will affect you? ...... and is it true that podiatric surgeries can go up to $20,000 depending on the case ??

{Note} : If you dont know !!!! dont comment ... i am not interested in hearing BS and being told what to post and not to post ..... if you dont know!!!! dont reply just leave the thread..... again if you dont know!!!!! just dont speculate and continue with your everyday life.... THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Yes. Cosmetic foot surgery is a specialty has the potential to make big bucks. If you wish to specialize in this, you can make 10,000-20,000 per foot / procedure. Check out this article, hope this helps.

http://www.empoweredhospital.com/story_1032.html

S.

Yes. Cosmetic foot surgery is a specialty has the potential to make big bucks. If you wish to specialize in this, you can make 10,000-20,000 per foot / procedure. Check out this article, hope this helps.

http://www.empoweredhospital.com/story_1032.html

S.

However, let me add to this: These types of procedures are frowned upon not only by the APMA, but the profession as well. The only reason foot surgery should be performed is to alleviate pain IMO - that's after all conservative measures have been taken. People that desire "cosmetic foot surgery" often have unrealistic desires, which most of the time lead to lawsuits :thumbdown:.

Don't worry, Obama and congress will determine what medical work can be paid...

Just collect your govt paychecks and fake a smile. ;)

yea i agree with you on that ... how about those reconstructive surgeries those are pretty complex...

yes, but these are still covered by insurance most of the time, unlike cosmetic surgery.

austin bunionectomy = ~30 min = ~$1,200-$1,800

OR

Intricate ankle surgery for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or foot/ankle trauma = ~2-4 hours = ~$2,400-$2,600 :thumbdown:

Take your pick...

S.

The typical reimbursement for an austin bunionectomy is probably closer to 800 and differs a lot between states and insurance companies. Keep in mind that what you are paid for a surgery includes all follow-up appointments and any complications that arise. If the pt develops a non-union or infection you have to treat it and don't get re-imbursed for it during the global period (usually 90 days). Just something to keep in mind. By the way doing a simple nail avulsion in your office can re-imburse up to 300 dollars or more in some states, so you can do pretty well on your clinic days too.

wow, I didn't realize the reimbursement rates for surgery were so low! :thumbdown: Shoot, I work as an orthotist now and we charge $570 for a pair of foot orthotics, most insurance companies don't even pay for them so the patient pays it in full (I'd be happy if I saw even 10% of that in my pocket per FO though :()