How are St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hosp. and The Brooklyn Hosp. OMFS programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonnycon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: Can anyone tell me how these two programs are? I haven't heard anything about them and I'm trying to find out what people know or have heard. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

jonnycon said:
:confused: Can anyone tell me how these two programs are? I haven't heard anything about them and I'm trying to find out what people know or have heard. Thanks.

I'm not in OMFS, but I did my required 3 week Oral Surgery rotation at St. Luke's. The facilities are in good order & the staff seemed nice. I believe that each year they take one resident- so there were 4 residents (4 year program) and they had one intern for the year too. Mostly I was very impressed with the residents themselves. The one female resident at the time was a 2nd yr and was so very nice and she really knew her stuff. I probably learned the most from her. In addition, the 1st year was not only easy to get along with, but also very good and confident with his work. He had done a year studying anesthesia specifically before this program. They had specified days for doing IV sedations. Also, they sometimes got called to consult in other areas of the hospital. For ex, I followed a resident once to consult on a newborn that had flabby looking gums. Also, we went to look at an elderly bed-ridden man in the hospital regarding his teeth. The location of the hospital is not bad- it is nearby Columbia University's main campus (undergraduate campus) in uptown Manhattan. Many restaurants, a grocery store or two in the area...Even the Seinfeld diner is right nearby. Hope that helps at least a little.

Thanks...that does help.

Miss Mammelon said:
I'm not in OMFS, but I did my required 3 week Oral Surgery rotation at St. Luke's. The facilities are in good order & the staff seemed nice. I believe that each year they take one resident- so there were 4 residents (4 year program) and they had one intern for the year too. Mostly I was very impressed with the residents themselves. The one female resident at the time was a 2nd yr and was so very nice and she really knew her stuff. I probably learned the most from her. In addition, the 1st year was not only easy to get along with, but also very good and confident with his work. He had done a year studying anesthesia specifically before this program. They had specified days for doing IV sedations. Also, they sometimes got called to consult in other areas of the hospital. For ex, I followed a resident once to consult on a newborn that had flabby looking gums. Also, we went to look at an elderly bed-ridden man in the hospital regarding his teeth. The location of the hospital is not bad- it is nearby Columbia University's main campus (undergraduate campus) in uptown Manhattan. Many restaurants, a grocery store or two in the area...Even the Seinfeld diner is right nearby. Hope that helps at least a little.

Miss Mammelon said:

I have to say, Miss Mammelon, best screen name ever! I've got to get my mind out of the gutter.