-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How are those secondaries going for everyone?
Started by kthxbai
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
LOL it's Friday night. You should be doing whatever the hell you want regardless. 😛Submitted two more today, which means I'm going to do whatever I want for the rest of the night. That's right. Livin' large. 😎
Also, I be all like:
My brain checked out of my skull and is on its way to Vegas. I officially went bananas!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it is a powerful story and a big part of your history. I would talk about it in challenge essays - you experienced an awful thing and worked through the trauma by helping to bring the perpetrators to justice. I don't know what awful things adcoms could extrapolate from this. Just don't say "this is why I want to be a doctor," or talk about ongoing PTSD.I was the material witness who put these bastards away for life, if you're wondering about what I'd done.
It also have me the motivation to actively do good - for my sanity and the victim's memory
Let's not forget that DermViser is a cynical turd though... Anything he says needs to enter your mind with 2000mg of salt.I think it is a powerful story and a big part of your history. I would talk about it in challenge essays - you experienced an awful thing and worked through the trauma by helping to bring the perpetrators to justice. I don't know what awful things adcoms could extrapolate from this. Just don't say "this is why I want to be a doctor," or talk about ongoing PTSD.
I doubt that any adcom would think I'm insane for wanting to counter an act of great evil with acts of good. Here's what I'm concerned about:
People who see murders and reactions to murders in movies/TV know nothing about the feelings involved in real life. Therefore, my reactions as I retell the story may be misinterpreted to my disadvantage.
I appreciate your vote of confidence in telling this story, but I can't do it knowing no one really could get what it's like to be there.
I couldn't do it for me nor could I do it for the victim's memory. It's all too raw to discuss dispassionately. She/he isn't a prop in my med school application. I just can't disrespect them like this.
P.S
Amazingly, I had no PTSD or other prolonged psychological effects.
LOL it's Friday night. You should be doing whatever the hell you want regardless. 😛
I have a date with a book. Feeling naughty for cheating on my secondaries like this. 😛
Sorry if this question has been posted elsewhere. Has anyone else sat on their secondaries for 3 or more weeks? I did not prewrite any of them and got swamped with most of them at once and am slowly making my way through them one by one. I'm starting to get really nervous looking at this thread since I've only submitted 7/27 at this point. I also received a reminded email from Stanford that I hadn't submitted my secondary yet (seems like they are counting how long it takes you to submit from when you receive?)
Also, how true do you think it is that schools gauge your interest with how long your turnaround time is???
There is no sense in losing your mind over something you can't help. If you submit your secondaries within 2-3 weeks, I believe it'll be just fine (at least according to my advisers). Four weeks will probably be ok too.
Buckle down, get them done, and stop worrying.
Sorry if this question has been posted elsewhere. Has anyone else sat on their secondaries for 3 or more weeks? I did not prewrite any of them and got swamped with most of them at once and am slowly making my way through them one by one. I'm starting to get really nervous looking at this thread since I've only submitted 7/27 at this point. I also received a reminded email from Stanford that I hadn't submitted my secondary yet (seems like they are counting how long it takes you to submit from when you receive?)
Also, how true do you think it is that schools gauge your interest with how long your turnaround time is???
P.S
I just fell in love with your avatar. I'm all about the kittehs.
Finished all 17 secondaries I received up until this point! Thank goodness for similar questions on the majority of them. Waiting on 3 more...
Congrats! If only I could say the same...Submitted them all. It's finally over.
![]()
I'll have a few more go out next week 😀
I'm like 10/21 right now and received most of them around July 10th. Will try to crank them all out by August 1. That 2 week rule better not be real. I have a life and couldn't just drop everything and start writing like a maniac.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Three more left and I am done for the whole summer! I cannot believe I applied to over 30 schools.
Ugh.
Anyone else finding that their later secondaries are looking better than their earlier ones? :/
I mean, secondaries don't have to be amazing or anything. Just get the correct content in and you'll be fine.
I don't know that's how I want to think about it..
Put your best foot forward and get in the best work you can. I can be a great writer, and I want to show it. After all, we're ALL the responsible pre-meds. The acceptances are in the margins.
Yes, absolutely. On the bright side, the earlier schools will never know the difference.Anyone else finding that their later secondaries are looking better than their earlier ones? :/
Got to love the schools with minimal secondaries!
I don't know that's how I want to think about it..
Put your best foot forward and get in the best work you can. I can be a great writer, and I want to show it. After all, we're ALL the responsible pre-meds. The acceptances are in the margins.
Obviously if you have time then polish away. But if you are in a time crunch focus on the essentials.
7 out of 25... Got most of them on 7/20. My sister had a baby and my best friend got married, kind of threw a wrench in my timeline.
Drowning here. The fact that I tend to hide from my problems is not making this easy. 🙁
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm constantly adding more schools to my list... which isn't making things any better. So fatigued from all this!
Someone that is verified July 1st and turns in a secondary August 1st vs someone that is verified July 15th and turns in secondary August 1st
Any differences?
Any differences?
I had about a 1-2 week break from secondaries, and then just got one today.... it's hard to start back up!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had about a 1-2 week break from secondaries, and then just got one today.... it's hard to start back up!
Temple? I know. I'm waiting for them and Drexel. Thank god I pre-wrote because I can't start up again...
Northwestern, but i know what you mean... except i wish I had pre wrote this one.Temple? I know. I'm waiting for them and Drexel. Thank god I pre-wrote because I can't start up again...
Someone that is verified July 1st and turns in a secondary August 1st vs someone that is verified July 15th and turns in secondary August 1st
Any differences?
Could be a big one, yes. One says the applicant is interested. The other says the applicant is either procrastinating or busy with other schools.
working third shift at the hospital = working on secondaries
working third shift at the hospital = working on secondaries
+1
That's my game plan for my overnight next week
So many... 14/24 done, I don't know how people apply to 30+ schools
I'm also in disbelief. Can people really, truly take the assault on their wallets and psyche?So many... 14/24 done, I don't know how people apply to 30+ schools
I know I'm ready for a whole bottle of tequila.
Hi all I have a question, if you won't be complete yet anyways(still awaiting letters and MCAT score) does it matter when you return secondaries?
31/35 completed.
So far, 1 rejection, and am waiting on 4 more possible secondaries.
Holy.
I haven't technically been rejected from anywhere yet, but I don't think Jefferson, Rochester, or Georgetown are in the cards. People complete after me getting II's already isn't boding well at all.
For you peace of mind, yes.Hi all I have a question, if you won't be complete yet anyways(still awaiting letters and MCAT score) does it matter when you return secondaries?
Same here about Jefferson and Georgetown.Holy.
I haven't technically been rejected from anywhere yet, but I don't think Jefferson, Rochester, or Georgetown are in the cards. People complete after me getting II's already isn't boding well at all.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh I wasn't even including DO here. I had 24 MD AND 8 DOYou guys are all scaring me with your applying to 20+ schools lol. 9/11 submitted. Waiting on Drexel and for Rowan to release their official supplemental app site (finishing my prewrite today fingers crossed)
Holy.
I haven't technically been rejected from anywhere yet, but I don't think Jefferson, Rochester, or Georgetown are in the cards. People complete after me getting II's already isn't boding well at all.
Being from CA + average stats = alot of schools lol.
Also, concerning the schools you posted above, I actually just got an II to one of them this morning, well after a good amount of people, so I wouldn't be too intimidated. Not all applicants are created equal and SDN is full of exceptionally talented people, many of whom will be highly sought after by many schools.
I just got verified this last week. Done 37/39 so far. Haven't submitted any of them since my letters go out next week. Will do that between tomorrow and next tuesday when I go for a much needed 3 day vacation!
Done! Haven't felt this free since my AMCAS was being verified in June.
Similar threads
D
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 538

