How are you deciding?

Started by PAThbrd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Just wanted to see how everyone was deciding where to attend in the fall...

Personally, I am looking at tuition, cost of living in the area, quality of life in the area, facilities, curriculum, caseload, residency, and probably other things that I cannot think of right now. When it all boils down though, I'm looking for the school that feels right when I visit it. I kinda get this feeling with Penn, didn't really get it with Tufts. I'm planning on going to the Open House at North Carolina, March 31st-April 1st (anyone else going?). I'm also hoping to visit Colorado in case I get the call off the waitlist...

What's everyone else up to?
 
PAThbrd said:
Hey all,

Just wanted to see how everyone was deciding where to attend in the fall...

Personally, I am looking at tuition, cost of living in the area, quality of life in the area, facilities, curriculum, caseload, residency, and probably other things that I cannot think of right now. When it all boils down though, I'm looking for the school that feels right when I visit it. I kinda get this feeling with Penn, didn't really get it with Tufts. I'm planning on going to the Open House at North Carolina, March 31st-April 1st (anyone else going?). I'm also hoping to visit Colorado in case I get the call off the waitlist...

What's everyone else up to?

Hey PAThbrd,
My main criteria is the curriculum as I realized that I would learn best in a true PBL setting, but I also agree that it's about the "feel" of the school. When I visited Cornell, I felt that it was the place for me, and while I was very, very impressed with the facilities at Tufts, I left my interview with about the same impression as you. Looking back, I kinda regret turning down 8 other interview offers because I didn't give myself a chance to get a food feel of the school, but I just wasn't willing to spend money to travel all over for schools I probably won't attend when Cornell seemed to fit on all other accounts too: state tuition, faculity, small animal hospital facility, cost of living. Granted, the thought of living in rural Ithaca scares the crap out of me, but I keep on hearing that people love it up there, so I'm willing to give it a try (with frequent escapes to NYC *grin*). Besides, I don't think I would have forgiven myself if I turned down Cornell!
 
i live in raleigh and if anyone is comign to the open house id be happy to show you around. if that isn't weird.