1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

How Bad are "W" Grade on College Transcript?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by rdeemed23, Feb 26, 2007.

1. rdeemed23

rdeemed23 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi, Am tryna convince my friend to take a "W" in Organic Chemistry instead of sticking in the class and Getting a "D" or an "F"..he already has 2 W's and thinks if he gets a third one, he will never get into medical school...so how many is too many W's??? i had 9 W's on my transcript, most in my premed classes even, and still got into 2 D.O Schools...

2. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    That answer speaks for itself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CTrainSJU

CTrainSJU MS I
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    9 W's? How did you explain that? Did you have some extenuating circumstances? That would make a big difference as to if you are accepted or not. The excuse that "5 people I was close to died in one year" holds a lot more water than "I just didn't think I could cut it".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jp104

jp104 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah I don't get it, your friend won't believe you (who got 9 W's and got into 2 DO schools), yet will somehow believe whatever we in pre-osteo come up with? I mean seriously. Is this a troll post?

In case it isn't the answer is clearly 10 W's. :laugh:

EDIT: Nevermind, read your post history. You're obviously a troll. Have a nice life! :laugh:

5. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    [​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    rdeemed23

rdeemed23 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah i had 9 w's, 3 in physics, 2 in organic chemisty, 1 in ancient philosophy, and 1 in general chemisty...i have forgotten what the 2 others were in, and still got in....Why does everyone on SDN label me as a troll???

7. MCATTT

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Answer this questions then.
    What are the chances of getting a 39 on MCAT with 9 Ws on Pre-requisite?

8. OP
    OP
    rdeemed23

rdeemed23 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Remember,i retook all my prereqs and got B's and Above in all of them.... i also got W's because I was working long hours and couldnt dedicate enough study time to my science classes...that why a typical semester on my transcript was A's or A-'s on my non-science classes and a C or D in my science classes.

9. grinchick5

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh yeah, chances are really good, especially if you withdraw on the last possible day. This is a fact b/c it allows you more opportunities to sit through each class and absorb the material. I know I girl with 22 W's (she withdrew from each pre-req at least twice before passing), scored a 40 on her MCAT and got into 10 DO schools, Harvard, Hopkins, and Yale.

PreMedBeauty likes this.
  10. KBPRO86

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thats a good one!!

11. Krisss17

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    No, not everyone thinks you are a troll...some people on this thread just want to instigate some trouble. Hey it happens...unfortunately, I too have about 8 W's, 6 of which occurred during a very bad year due to personal reasons, not because I couldn't cut it.

Congratulations on your two acceptances.

Krisss17

12. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have 28 Ws. :eek: :rolleyes: The vast majority of them are from many years ago though. It took me several attempts at college before I stuck with it. I was an English major, Art major, Equine Science major, thought about Psychology for a while...and then I worked and withdrew and worked and withdrew....:laugh: I had no trouble getting interviews and acceptances at DO schools and am actually fortunate enough to be attending my top choice. :love: I think that if you have a good explanation and have proven yourself after that, they will understand. Take the W! That way at least it does not affect your GPA. Good luck!:luck: :luck:

13. byong_soo

byong_soo Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    W's are not that bad as long as you do well on the class the second time around

14. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I spoke to an adcom member at a school I applied to that said the 2 W's I had combined with my low gpa(3.2) raised red flags and led to my pre-interview hold. So although some people may have no issues with a lot of W's, there are certainly instances when it is a big deal. Now pertaining to your situation, would I take an F over a W? Heck no...
    but I still think your trolling based on past post history so it doesn't really matter.

15. Taty

Taty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have 3 or 4 Ws too...nobody even asked me about them :)

16. CTrainSJU

CTrainSJU MS I
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would have to agree with Kuba. My pre Med advisor always told me to have no more than 2 w's and absolutely not have any in your pre reqs. I would have to think that at schools who get a lot of really good applicants that if it comes down to 2 identical applicants who performed similarly in the interview they would tend to choose the one with the cleaner academic record. I know that someone is going to say that "DO schools consider much more than the academic record" and I agree with that. It is still taken into account though, and performing well the first time around in Orgo or physics or biochem is never a bad thing.

17. saraswati

Pre-Medical
    I have 6 Ws (i had to withdraw from an entire semester due to health reasons). im still a sophomore, so obviously i haven't gotten in anywhere, haven't even taken the MCAT yet.
    I'm also doing badly in organic I right now (probably will re-take it) but im still in the game. The Ws don't disclude you if you can explain them.
    good luck to your friend :))

18. saraswati

Pre-Medical
    seriously? wow.
    22 Ws, that might be a record

19. ODorDO

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    These posts are like 2 years old... and most of these people are ready in med school. One thing to keep in mind is that D.O. schools are getting more and more competitive each year, so be very careful about getting those W's.

20. Superman DO

Superman DO Oh crap, I'm really a doctor?
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had 7 W's when I applied (actually, it was more like 6. Come to find out, I had a W in statistics when I never even signed up for a stats course!). I worked full-time all through undergrad and tried to take a maximum course load each semester/quarter. It was just not feasible during some semesters/quarters. Anyways, I was asked about them during my interviews, but after I explained that I had no choice but to work, they were understanding. Actually, it was a great lead in to my work experience. . .anyways, I think if you really have a valid reason why you need to take a W, then it is alright.

21. HoboCommander

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    W's are good. I had 25 of them and got in.

22. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If the school is affiliated with an undergrad institution, I think the people tend to look at that school's policy for W's as the standard everywhere. My original undergrad gave you 2 weeks from start date to drop a class without any penalization. After that 2 weeks, it was a W. The place I did my premed was completely different. You had over half a semester before it was considered a "late-drop". I was asked point blank during interviews a few times why I had so many W's. Thankfully, 3 of them were from the same professor in German Lit. So, there was a pretty specific trend with those.

23. dapdrow

5+ Year Member

I'm surprised schools allow students to take so many. My school had a limit of four Ws. Period.

24. DngU2013

2+ Year Member

I know this is an old thread..but how did you explain your 25 W's? I am concerned because I do have a lot W's too... I've been thinking I might not ever have a chance to apply to dental schools.. =(

25. DanGee777

Pre-Medical
    I have 8 W's and got waitlisted at a DO school after applying late. Then again, the 10 W's were spread over a decade (and 4 of the 8 were after I already received my bachelor's and were in courses that I didn't even need), so not sure if that makes a difference.

Anyway OP, a W is 10 times better than a D or F.

Edit: Didn't realize it was an old thread. OP is probably a resident by now.

26. 572776

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had 1 W and good gpa and was asked about it

27. TheDissapointment

Pre-Medical
    That is amazing. I have some W myself but I've changed majors twice. I'm transferring to a new school with a better program after this year. My current institution has a very week bio department. If you're not a exercise science or a chem major then you're not getting any kind of quality education from the sciences. Not to mention the school lied by saying they offered a specific set of classes but in reality haven't taught any of them in a out 5 years.

28. rg2o3

Medical Student
    That poster hasn’t been on since that post...11 years ago.

29. de Ribas

de Ribas Nobel Prize Recipient
    Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Welcome to SDN.

30. TheDissapointment

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I figured when I looked at the timeline. You mind if I ask you a few questions about DO School and the path you took to get there.

rg2o3 likes this.
  31. rg2o3

Medical Student
    Sure thing, just send me a PM!