How bad does a C look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

I recently earned a C in a zoology lab class that i took my first semester of my freshmen year, the class is only 1 credit hour so it will not affect my GPA tremendously but I still am not happy with it, although the class is considered to be one of the hardest classes at the university. But the medical school committees won't know this. Am i worrying to much or should I be concerned about it, it is only my freshmen year.

Members don't see this ad.

ejay286 said:
I recently earned a C in a zoology lab class that i took my first semester of my freshmen year, the class is only 1 credit hour so it will not affect my GPA tremendously but I still am not happy with it, although the class is considered to be one of the hardest classes at the university. But the medical school committees won't know this. Am i worrying to much or should I be concerned about it, it is only my freshmen year.

Take a deep breath. Deeper.. Hold it.. Hold it... now let it out through your nose.

OK, uhm.. relax. One unit of C is going to do nothing to affect your overall GPA (unless you wanted a perfect 4.0). One unit of C will have NO effect on your odds at getting into medical school. Not having the ability to relax, and stressing out over minor things WILL affect your physical health though.

I had several C's, a D, and yes, one unit of F on my transcript and did fine.

I also can't remember when to use the word effect vs affect, and look~ it isn't stressing me out!

Its over, forget med school because you are completely and utterly boned.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 Cs, 1 D, none retaken, got an allo acceptance 10-17-05...my friend, it is sooo not the end of the world. keep pushing, keep improving and end up with a decent GPA. will not even be an issue.

Thanks guys I know my chances werent hurt that much but I guess the pressure to do well really just got to me, but thanks for the advice it helps alot.

P.S. Lol i debated over affect vs. effect for awhile but i guess i got it wrong lol : :oops:

crys20 said:
3 Cs, 1 D, none retaken, got an allo acceptance 10-17-05...my friend, it is sooo not the end of the world. keep pushing, keep improving and end up with a decent GPA. will not even be an issue.

3 C's? jeez....

that's nothing. i have like 5. accepted in oct and still waiting to hear from northwestern and columbia post-interview.... feb is so far away.

it's funny tho because i've been out of school of 2 years and i had considered doing premed early in college but after 1 C, everyone was like "you'll never get into a good school" and when they kept coming, i gave up.

ejay286 said:

I know everyone is saying you're fine, but I think you should be concerned if you plan to get into a top ten school. These schools require a 3.8ish GPA average, so unless you get straight A's for the rest of your sciences, you're going to be at a disadvantage. On the other hand, if this is your only C, you will probably still be able to get an interview and then can just explain how hard the class was at the interview. Just do your best and see where it takes you.

Not particularly aiming at a top 10 school, i just want to get in somewhere. I wont be anymore of a doctor at Harvard than I would at Howard, but dont get that confused with setting my goals low.

if it's only 1 unit, then it won't lower your GPA too much
plus, u can show improvement over the next few semesters, right? :rolleyes:

got a D in english 101 freshman year (and then a retook it and got an A), got a C in 102, got a C in intro to accounting....made it to med school.

first year of college was pretty brutal. :oops:

sometimes it's better to take hard classes and get lower grades, then take all easy classes and earn your grades easily. Like the others said, it will not kill you.

The biggest thing is that you learn from it. I am skeptical that this is really the hardest class on your campus and it's only one unit and you took it first semester freshman year, so BE READY for them to get harder. Do your best every step of the way, and believe me, that C will not matter at all when it comes to applying.

I got a C my first quarter in chemistry (a 5 unit class) and was really bummed. I was scared I wasn't good enough for the school I was at or the path I had chosen (first science course.) Instead of freaking out though, I challenged myself to study hard and get A's in chem from then on, and I did (well, until ochem anyway!) I also had a few B's in there along the way, but I have gotten an acceptance from every school I've heard from (including GREAT schools - ie MAYO) so don't sell yourself short because of one silly C your first semester in college! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Go forth and sin no more.

unicorn06 said:
I know everyone is saying you're fine, but I think you should be concerned if you plan to get into a top ten school. These schools require a 3.8ish GPA average, so unless you get straight A's for the rest of your sciences, you're going to be at a disadvantage. On the other hand, if this is your only C, you will probably still be able to get an interview and then can just explain how hard the class was at the interview. Just do your best and see where it takes you.

Believe it or not, there are plenty of people in top ten schools who got a C or two. Just don't let it be a pattern. The average GPA is avereage for a reason -- half the people got below that grade level. Rock the MCAT big time, and it really won't matter.

Stop freaking out, grades are not the most important thing in your life. Frosh year I got a C in Bio I and a C- in spanish I and II (i have never been able to understand languages my entire life) and had a 2.71 gpa. Later next week when I graduate I will be leaving with a 3.8 cumulative gpa. There is always room to make up for it.

Just do well on the MCAT and the rest of your grades. I have nothing lower than a B on my transcript but my MCAT is low and I only have one allopathic interview. It is all about the MCAT! Good Luck

If you perform well at your interview and have a strong MCAT score and ECs, you'll get into at least one top 10. I know that several med students at PennMed have around 3.4-3.6 GPAs.

These schools aren't looking for science nerds; they're looking for people with good work ethic skills (drive to succeed), competance in a social environment, and a personality. Looking good/handsome/sexy/hot helps a lot too.

I had 3 Cs and it wasn't a big deal. However, they were brought up at EVERY interview so be prepared to explain why you got the grade. As long as you are honest and have a reason, the interviewers probably won't care.

In my experience, I even told one interviewer that the C was completely my fault. I told him I was having a bad semester and thought that was an "easy" class so I didn't put that much effort into it. But in the end, it turned out it wasn't that "easy."

My advice--just be honest :)

OP,

I got a C+ in Orgo, I got a D in Bio-stat and started off with a 2.87 GPA and look where I am at now....um...maybe my story is not the one you want to hear. Listen to Flop or Crys20...yeah...that's inspiration for you right there, man.

RayhanS1282 said:
OP,

I got a C+ in Orgo, I got a D in Bio-stat and started off with a 2.87 GPA and look where I am at now....um...maybe my story is not the one you want to hear. Listen to Flop or Crys20...yeah...that's inspiration for you right there, man.

Word. I got Cs both semesters of Orgo. C in Intro Bio. Cs in three semesters of neuroscience. And a D in PsychStat.
I have an acceptance at an allo school, and an interview at a top ten school. Just because some people struggle for the first year or two of college doesn't mean that they aren't smart and/or motivated! I had a 2.6 GPA as of soph year, brought it up to a 3.19, killed the MCAT, and ended up OK :) AdComs LOOOVE to see upward trends... students who had a tough time but struggled and really overcame academic difficulties. That means you know how to bust your butt, which = success in med school. Best of luck, and don't worry so much! Just work your hardest, really want it, and you'll get there! :luck:

unicorn06 said:
I know everyone is saying you're fine, but I think you should be concerned if you plan to get into a top ten school. These schools require a 3.8ish GPA average, so unless you get straight A's for the rest of your sciences, you're going to be at a disadvantage.

Well, I'm someone who has gotten into a top 10 school and who does not have a 3.8ish GPA. I have no special URM/in-state/etc status. I have no C's, but I do have B-'s (a difference of 0.33 on the GPA). Anyway, sure, the higher the GPA the better. But it's not reasonable to be discouraged, even from the top 10, because of a C. And no, based on my actual experience I can tell you that you will not have to get straight A's to remain competitive.

to the OP, i just want to add it is so refreshing to hear you say you just want to get into A school, not necessarily a top 10! you definately have the right idea, and i'm sure you'll do great in the next couple years and then make it happen when application time comes. good luck, just relax, honestly after having been thru this...SDN makes it seem like it is sooo damn hard to get into med school and you're only gonna do it if you're flawless. i'm a prime example that that simply is not the case, you can have 1, 2 even 5 blemishes on your application and still get some nice, even early, acceptances. had i realized this when i was at your stage of the game i would have saved myself sooo much anxiety, ya know?

Flopotomist said:
Take a deep breath. Deeper.. Hold it.. Hold it... now let it out through your nose.

OK, uhm.. relax. One unit of C is going to do nothing to affect your overall GPA (unless you wanted a perfect 4.0). One unit of C will have NO effect on your odds at getting into medical school. Not having the ability to relax, and stressing out over minor things WILL affect your physical health though.

I had several C's, a D, and yes, one unit of F on my transcript and did fine.

I also can't remember when to use the word effect vs affect, and look~ it isn't stressing me out!
well said...but forgot one thing. adcoms lets a C go by in gen chem. but they frown on anything less than an 'A' in organic chemistry

PittMedicine said:
well said...but forgot one thing. adcoms lets a C go by in gen chem. but they frown on anything less than an 'A' in organic chemistry

You're a little rain of sunshine...
I have a stupid B in O-chem 1 and O-chem 2 looks worse.
The weird thing is, I have straight A's in like.....everything else. I guess chem has always been my weak point, I don't like it that much.

baylormed said:
You're a little rain of sunshine...
I have a stupid B in O-chem 1 and O-chem 2 looks worse.
The weird thing is, I have straight A's in like.....everything else. I guess chem has always been my weak point, I don't like it that much.
like i said...they "frown" on it...they don't "throw away your application".

They only "throw it away" if you tanked your MCAT (<27)

PittMedicine, did an adcom tell you that personally? :)

One of my Cs is, in fact, in Ochem!

crys20 said:
PittMedicine, did an adcom tell you that personally? :)

One of my Cs is, in fact, in Ochem!
no, but i bought 3 admissions guides to medical school and all three said something like "Because freshmen come into college with different backgrounds in chemistry, a 'C' is not detrimental, but medical schools frown upon anything less than an 'A' in organic chemistry. Thus, you must get an 'A' in organic chemistry!" Then it talks about how you can prepare for organic,...

ugh i hate those med school admissions guides, i could write a better one i think :)

I always heard that you should get an A in at least one term of O Chem, but that it was also the best class to get a C cuz everyone knows that it's hard. I got a C my first term and an A in the second.

pshaw! I got lots of C's in college and that didn't stop me from getting in. Just make sure that you have stellar rec letters and extracurriculars (e.g., extensive research, meaningful volunteering---something more than pushing wheelchairs, and substantial clinical exposure---again, more than shadowing).

Don't worry about it. I failed nearly everything my freshman year, talking 0.9 GPA, and was put on scholastic dismissal for one semester...came back with a 4.0 the next 3 years and ended up getting into the med school I wanted. Now I'm currently interviewing for rads residency and have interviews at all the "top 10" places.

One C means nothing in the long run.

PittMedicine said:
no, but i bought 3 admissions guides to medical school and all three said something like "Because freshmen come into college with different backgrounds in chemistry, a 'C' is not detrimental, but medical schools frown upon anything less than an 'A' in organic chemistry. Thus, you must get an 'A' in organic chemistry!" Then it talks about how you can prepare for organic,...

Yeah um I really wouldn't put much stock in admissions guides. My pre-med advisors and all admissions guides basically said that I wasn't getting into med school, either allopathic or otherwise, this year (as I said, with Cs in BOTH semesters of orgo, and a D). However, I'm sitting on an allo acceptance and top-ten interview. Basically, I went back and learned everything I screwed up on, got a perfect score on the orgo part of the MCAT, and told the admissions committee as much. It all depends on how you recup. yourself!

RayhanS1282 said:
OP,

HA!!

IMOP, I think "C" is one of the nicer looking letters in the alphabet--it refuses to be confined to right angles, it can take on multiple phonetic distinctions, and it's toward the beginning of the alphabet without HAVING to be #1. Embrace your C! You'll be fine!

Pepper1o1 said:
Yeah um I really wouldn't put much stock in admissions guides. My pre-med advisors and all admissions guides basically said that I wasn't getting into med school, either allopathic or otherwise, this year (as I said, with Cs in BOTH semesters of orgo, and a D). However, I'm sitting on an allo acceptance and top-ten interview. Basically, I went back and learned everything I screwed up on, got a perfect score on the orgo part of the MCAT, and told the admissions committee as much. It all depends on how you recup. yourself!
I only partially agree with you. Certainly if you get 35+ on your MCAT, the statements aren't necessarily true. But, for an average applicant with 27, I think it's important to stand out in classes like organic chemistry.

PittMedicine said:
I only partially agree with you. Certainly if you get 35+ on your MCAT, the statements aren't necessarily true. But, for an average applicant with 27, I think it's important to stand out in classes like organic chemistry.

Really I can't believe anyone listens to a thing you say. You don't know anything about this process. You do not need an A in any semester of orgo to get in to any school. If you are a good appicant, more then just grades you stand a chance anywhere. I know someone who does not have an A in any semester of Orgo, a 30 mcat and has been accepted to JHU along with interviews at harvard and upenn, umich, nw and other great schools.

Seriously your posts are a joke.

ti89 said:
Really I can't believe anyone listens to a thing you say. You don't know anything about this process. You do not need an A in any semester of orgo to get in to any school. If you are a good appicant, more then just grades you stand a chance anywhere. I know someone who does not have an A in any semester of Orgo, a 30 mcat and has been accepted to JHU along with interviews at harvard and upenn, umich, nw and other great schools.

Seriously your posts are a joke.

wow. i thought it was next to impossible to get an interview at harvard with a 30 mcat. who is this person??
or is this another big pre-med myth. everybody always seems to know somebody who knows somebody who had a such-and-such gpa and mcat but still got into abc school no problem so don't give up hope!! hmph.
well lemme tell ya, have a 30 mcat and only one interview and being ginored form my state school, april mcater, 2005 is almost over and i am LOSING HOPE!!!

ok. uhhh, when i started posting i did not mean to turn it into an angry rant.

bubbleyum said:
wow. i thought it was next to impossible to get an interview at harvard with a 30 mcat. who is this person??
or is this another big pre-med myth. everybody always seems to know somebody who knows somebody who had a such-and-such gpa and mcat but still got into abc school no problem so don't give up hope!! hmph.
well lemme tell ya, have a 30 mcat and only one interview and being ginored form my state school, april mcater, 2005 is almost over and i am LOSING HOPE!!!

I totally agree. I'm sick of these pre-med myths. I think the person who told you that they got into a bunch of Ivys with those scores was lying. There are plenty of people who lied about where they got into med school: "I got into Harvard, Yale, and JHU, but I chose to go to Ross."

Honestly, let's try not to be total pre-med tools here. People who really want medicine and who work hard enough for long enough will get in to a school. It may not be the school of their choice, and it may not be on their first cycle but they will get in, granted they aren't the types who only apply to say, top 20 schools. There is almost no amount of messing up that you can't fix, albeit the more you mess up the longer it will take to fix and the fewer and fewer your options will become. You can graduate with a 2.5 for gosh sakes, do ok on the mcat, so a masters or other types of grad work and get into US medical schools.

crys20 said:
Honestly, let's try not to be total pre-med tools here. People who really want medicine and who work hard enough for long enough will get in to a school. It may not be the school of their choice, and it may not be on their first cycle but they will get in, granted they aren't the types who only apply to say, top 20 schools. There is almost no amount of messing up that you can't fix, albeit the more you mess up the longer it will take to fix and the fewer and fewer your options will become. You can graduate with a 2.5 for gosh sakes, do ok on the mcat, so a masters or other types of grad work and get into US medical schools.

wut, are you calling me a tool!!??!

u know i always wondered how that whole negative term "tool" got started. why is that? i thought tools were good, they help you get work done and stuff. it's what differentiated us from other lowly neanderthals during the big evolution period. and now all of a sudden, ppl are calling each other "tools." i think i started hearing this term being tossed around about 2 years ago. or is "tool" short for something else and i'm just an old fart who is too unhip to have heard about it?

edit because of the double/triple post, entirely unintentional.

i have a C in ochem... and 4 interviews. don't believe everything you hear.
-mota

bubbleyum, since you asked the question 3 times i'll answer you.

tools are good, but only when they are inanimate object used for hammering etc. when a PERSON becomes a tool, that is not a good thing. then basically you are something that people use to their own advantage. btw. i dont think you're a tool. more like an innocent girl frolicking through an orchid of sunflowers. nice visual eh?
-mota

bubbleyum said:

Well this person has plenty and amazing extracurricular stuff.

But people saying you need x,y,z to get an interview is bs.

On the same hand I know other people at columbia near 4.0 (above a 4.0 if you go by how Columbia does 4.33 for A+, 38 mcat) and got an A+ orgo I and A in orgo II. Yet they have been waitlisted at hopkins and the hold thing at Upenn. There is no you need this or they will barely look at you. I have a C+ in bio II and a B- in bio I. I have 2 B's in orgo and I think I am doing just fine with interviews also. Yes this is the internet and a message board so you may just say I am making this up. All I can say is it is true and take from it what you want.

I was starting to feel good about the C in lab and then i find out that I have a C in the lecture as well, I made a friggin D on the final!!! I have no idea how because it seemed so easy, now i will have to work extremely hard.

I guess when it rains it pours. :(

DaMota said:
bubbleyum, since you asked the question 3 times i'll answer you.

tools are good, but only when they are inanimate object used for hammering etc. when a PERSON becomes a tool, that is not a good thing. then basically you are something that people use to their own advantage. btw. i dont think you're a tool. more like an innocent girl frolicking through an orchid of sunflowers. nice visual eh?
-mota

awww THANX MOTA!!
you telling me i am not a tool is the nicest thing anybody has said to me all year~~~ (not so sure about the frolicking girl tho, hah.)

"don't give up hope this person with xyz got into abc" = "play the lottery, somebody won $100 million"

Sure, there is a possibility, but not large enough to keep your hopes up.

PittMedicine said:
Maybe one school has that opinion, but that's not the norm. Tons of people get less than an A in organic. I practically set the curve in gen chem, but organic was harder for me. The point is, you need to have good trends. One C is no big deal, but if your BCPM is a 3.2, that is a big deal.