How bad does a non-science "W" look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwd09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Throughout my college career, I have made a point of not having a single "W" anywhere on my transcript. However, as part of a history requirement, I decided to take an Inuit class, which has really been annoying the hell out of me. We have ~500 pages to read for every class, and the seemingly "easy" reading quizzes have been screwing me over (56% and 52%, respectively). Anyway, enough complaining. How bad would it look if I dropped it at this point and just took the "W"?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would hurt. Just be prepared to explain your W at interviews.

i have a w on my transcript and none of my interviewers out of four schools asked about it. however, i did retake the class the next semester and get an A.

Members don't see this ad :)
In comparison, I will also be applying this year and will have no W's at all... They only have a limited number of seats....

I had 3 W's on my transcript, 14 interview invites. Not saying they don't look at the W's but adcomms def have a heart and try to reason your W's out if possible.. My personal experience.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

I had 2 W's on my transcript, both in science courses (not prerequisites) and I was not asked about either of them in my interviews.

I have a W from a class because I found out on the 13th class day that I didn't need the class for my major and my Advisor had essentially screwed me by telling me I did need it.

I had 3 W's, (organic chem+ lab, and english). Only got asked about them at one of my five interviews.. (even though the director at Columbia specifically said 'Why did you get a W in Organic?' as one of the questions they were NOT supposed to ask about... grr)
Anyway, I don't think it's a big deal as long as you can explain them... also I made sure to get As in both when I retook them.

its easier to explain away a W than a bad grad .... C---> F. Believe me! Plus...since you've already taken it... if you do the same or worse there is no going back, really.

Interviwers wont even ask. I got a W in Anatomy... no one asked anything and I got in!

Its just history... dont worry.

Good Luck

I have a W from a class because I found out on the 13th class day that I didn't need the class for my major and my Advisor had essentially screwed me by telling me I did need it.

Me as well.
I was wondering if saying that I was going through some personal issues would suffice if I get questioned on why I have that W. (which is the truth besides my counselor telling me to take the class when I didn't need it).
Will it or do they want full explanation behind it?

Throughout my college career, I have made a point of not having a single "W" anywhere on my transcript. However, as part of a history requirement, I decided to take an Inuit class, which has really been annoying the hell out of me. We have ~500 pages to read for every class, and the seemingly "easy" reading quizzes have been screwing me over (56% and 52%, respectively). Anyway, enough complaining. How bad would it look if I dropped it at this point and just took the "W"?
What schools allow you to withdraw from a class due to poor academic performance? My school only allows withdrawal for medical/major personal reasons.

I 'W'ed out of a non-science class titled 'Who wrote the Bible?'. They never asked, but my prof. was Jewish, so it was a bit of a conflict when it came to writing papers...

What schools allow you to withdraw from a class due to poor academic performance? My school only allows withdrawal for medical/major personal reasons.

haha I'm pretty sure there are a lot of universities that would like their failing students to withdraw. As long as they have your money and their school's GPA stays up the school is happy. That's just the impression I had about a majority of state universities.

any "W" sucks. good thing that idiots out of office in a couple months. :p