eli2k

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
23
0
Status
Hi. I'm new to these forums, and I have a desperate question needing an answer. I am having some scheduling conflicts with a one-credit course and research. The course is about speakers in the biomedical field talking about their work, an hour each week. I have about fourteen hours left to decide whether to drop or not without a W. I was wondering how medical schools would look over this. I've been struggling with my grades the past semester, too. But if a W on a one-credit course raises a lot of notice from admissions, I'm not sure what to do. Can you please advise?

Thank you,
- Eli
 
OP
E

eli2k

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
23
0
Status
criminallyinane said:
I had one. I got into school. Don't worry but don't make it a habit!
Did you have exceptional credentials to go with your application, though? :) I'm not sure if I'll make it. It'll only be once this time because of a series of misfortunes that led to unusual circumstances.
 

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,563
5
37
Visit site
Status
I saw getting a B is much better than a W. take the course, and go talk to ur teacher if ur doing poorly. ask them what u need to get done. if u can't make better than a D, take the W.
 

criminallyinane

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
616
0
Status
eli2k said:
Did you have exceptional credentials to go with your application, though? :) I'm not sure if I'll make it. It'll only be once this time because of a series of misfortunes that led to unusual circumstances.
No, my credentials are far from exceptional. Trust me, one W won't kill you. If you are going to get a C or below, take the W.
 

LabMonster

Clinically relevant.
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
1,384
138
West
Status
Attending Physician
criminallyinane said:
No, my credentials are far from exceptional. Trust me, one W won't kill you. If you are going to get a C or below, take the W.
My advisor said something similar... One or two W's won't kill you, 3 or 4 shows a lack of commitment or poor planning.
 

ghgi8

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 27, 2004
162
0
Status
W = Winner
 

chocolate-e

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2002
145
0
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I have a W on my transcript, no one has asked about it at any of my interviews, and I got in ... I wouldn't worry about it.
 

Lemmiwinks

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
40
0
38
Colorado
Status
chocolate-e said:
I have a W on my transcript, no one has asked about it at any of my interviews, and I got in ... I wouldn't worry about it.

Same here, but I have 2 W's. I interviewed at a couple top 10 schools too, so it doesn't affect you that much as long as you have a strong GPA and solid MCAT scores. Good extracurriculars are crucial too.
 

run_4ever

waiting........
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
80
0
Status
I just can't imagine that an adcom would care about one or two W's. I dropped a Spanish class because I had simply signed on for too many hours and something had to go. It happens. If you think you can hang on and pull a decent grade out of the class then go for it. But if you need to drop, I wouldn't sweat it. Good luck :luck:
 
OP
E

eli2k

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
23
0
Status
No, my problem isn't that my grades are bad in that one-credit course. It's because I have a potential scheduling conflict with it. I can just drop it and hope that the research takes up that time, or I can drop it and research won't take up that time and it will be somewhat of a waste, or I can leave it and hope that the research does not need to take up that time, or I can leave it and if the research decides to take up that time, I can drop it with a W.
 

run_4ever

waiting........
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
80
0
Status
Oh, sorry about that. You did say in the original post that this is a scheduling problem. I got fixated on the part where you said you were struggling with your grades the past semester. Bottom line...I don't think the W will impact adcoms. G-luck.
 

criminallyinane

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
616
0
Status
Why don't you just drop it now without the W? What's the big deal? Make up the credits another semester. Why risk having a W or stressing yourself out?
 

3baerg

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
11
0
Status
I'll tell you this: in the interview where the interviewer had access to my entire file, she asked questions about the Ws I got.
 

Karina

Surgeon in training...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
438
0
37
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A W is certainly better than two C's (my case). I'm starting med school this Fall, first year applying.

Karina
 

Crete

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
177
0
Status
3baerg said:
I'll tell you this: in the interview where the interviewer had access to my entire file, she asked questions about the Ws I got in a PE class and genetics. She didn't ask a thing about the F I got in calculus. Yeah..... :confused:
TAKE THE "W" NOT THE "F!" That should be common sense. Getting a B or a C might screw up your GPA depending on where it is. If your goal is a 3.6 to apply to med school just calculate what it will do to it. 1 unit probably won't do much and 1 W for a 1 unit class won't do much either. So unless you will get a C or lower, stick with it.
 

Sabrinne

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
57
0
Cleveland, OH
Status
Medical Student
eli2k said:
Hi. I'm new to these forums, and I have a desperate question needing an answer. I am having some scheduling conflicts with a one-credit course and research. The course is about speakers in the biomedical field talking about their work, an hour each week. I have about fourteen hours left to decide whether to drop or not without a W. I was wondering how medical schools would look over this. I've been struggling with my grades the past semester, too. But if a W on a one-credit course raises a lot of notice from admissions, I'm not sure what to do. Can you please advise?

Thank you,
- Eli
Take the W if you are going to get C or lower. I did the s ame thing and retook the class later. No one has ever asked me about it during my interview. They actually wanted more to know about the one incomplete I had. :D