How bad does it look if you perform poorly on both biology 101 & 102 labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I ended up with a B- in my bio 101 lab. I was just checking the syllabus for my bio 102 lab for this semester and it seems like the prof is kind of tough. You need a 94+ to get an A! My previous lab instructor required a 90 for an A. However, I heard this prof does a really good job teaching but is really difficult. Why do you think the grading scale is so high? I am aiming to get at least a B. It is just that intro biology labs are soooo boring!! Honestly, you learn material that you will never use unless you want to become a botanist or study animals. I heard chem and physic labs are fun!

Members don't see this ad.

Um.

funny-pictures-cat-is-sympathetic-to-injury-of-friend.jpg

In what world is a B- bad? For lab?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine. Just don't make a habit of getting the B-

Well, I ended up with a B- in my bio 101 lab. I was just checking the syllabus for my bio 102 lab for this semester and it seems like the prof is kind of tough. You need a 94+ to get an A! My previous lab instructor required a 90 for an A. However, I heard this prof does a really good job teaching but is really difficult. Why do you think the grading scale is so high? I am aiming to get at least a B. It is just that intro biology labs are soooo boring!! Honestly, you learn material that you will never use unless you want to become a botanist or study animals. I heard chem and physic labs are fun!

You heard wrong.

All of the pre-req labs suck. At many schools (yours from the sound of it) labs are a grade game...profs play all kinds of games to limit the number of As...

I hated the labs for all the pre-reqs.

No, you need a good grade. Minimal grades under C, since you have to retake those. Any variety of A or B, basically.

A B- is bad. Even just for getting a job after college, employers want to see at least a 3.0, and a string of B-'s is a 2.7. However, it will not sink you, and labs are not as important to ace, so don't stress.

A B- is bad. Even just for getting a job after college, employers want to see at least a 3.0, and a string of B-'s is a 2.7. However, it will not sink you, and labs are not as important to ace, so don't stress.
Well, yeah, but hopefully he's not making a string of them.

Also, I totally do not get curves, but I've never had a curved class, so. :confused:

...profs play all kinds of games to limit the number of As...

I hated the labs for all the pre-reqs.
Damn..yea that sounds exactly like my uni..its jsut that there are soooooooo many premeds, science majors, etc..

i guess it depends on the school because physics lab is a joke if you know physics.

bio lab II was amazing! we did so many dissections and anatomy stuff and genetics stuff like finding blood type and diagnosing genetic disorders through this computer program (both pedigree style and through examining blood work) so i loved it. bio lab I one was some of the most boring stuff ever because of all the tree/biome/environment crap

i liked chem labs, tho. very interesting (organic lab at least because you get to make stuff lol)

i guess it depends on the school because physics lab is a joke if you know physics.

bio lab II was amazing! we did so many dissections and anatomy stuff and genetics stuff like finding blood type and diagnosing genetic disorders through this computer program (both pedigree style and through examining blood work) so i loved it. bio lab I one was some of the most boring stuff ever because of all the tree/biome/environment crap

i liked chem labs, tho. very interesting (organic lab at least because you get to make stuff lol)
and yea A started at 96 in bio lab, but A- was still a 90

Personally I thought the physics labs were the best. You directly apply what is learned in lecture and you actually see what is going on. If you are good at physics lecture you will ace the lab as well. The most direct correlation between lab grade and lecture grade in my experience.

I hated introductory chemistry lab because all of the concepts are so foreign to you and you cannot see what is actually going on in terms of the molecules breaking and bonds forming etc. I definitely feel that the intro chem labs are the worst to actually do, although the upper level chem labs are not that bad because by then you actually have a much better idea of acid-base chemistry, molarity, titrations etc. the concepts aren't as foreign anymore leading to a better understanding of the chemistry taking place.

The biology labs were not that bad at all, definitely the most boring in terms of pre-req labs, but very easy in terms of actually doing them. The worst thing about the bio labs, especially in the upper levels, is the waiting that sometimes needs to be done while you culture, incubate etc.