How bad does this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiseman27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So last semester a buddy and I went to campus and took a table to use at our house. It was a Sunday and no one was there to ask to borrow it, so we made the mistake of just taking it. We got lazy and didn't return it for a few days, and it caught up with us. We ended up getting charged with theft of college property and received 70 hours of community service (10 per week for 7 weeks). during this time i managed to keep semester gpa of 3.7 and work approximately 30 hours a week. i feel like i learned a valuable lesson from all this but will the admissions committees feel the same? I have a 3.7 cum gpa and an 18aa 17 pat dat (im retaking later). this summer has me doing 40 hours of research per week and i am also a lab ta and tutor at the college. i will be applying next summer. is this dumb mistake going to hurt me? will it come up during an interview? i dont want a single incident to ruin my chances at getting into dental school, but im only human and we learn from our mistakes. will the admission committees overlook this mishap?

Members don't see this ad.

just be honest about it on your application and hope the topic doesn't come up during an interview. if it does, they'll probably just ask if you took it for flip cup or beer pong :laugh:

i don't know how they'll look at it, but I cant imagine they'd be too keen on looking at your app if that's one of the first things they see.

that is a REALLY shatty way to get screwballed beyond belief. I hope it allworks out for you, and I'm sure you have have learned to never ake anythin that doesn't belong to you home again.... ouch!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would put an explanation of what happened in your personal statement. It doesn't have to be a big long paragraph, but it might be good for them to know what happened so that they don't look at your application and think you purposely went out and stole school property (which doesn't seem to be the case from what you've said). I think your stats are pretty good so I would think that you would get interviews. Assume that they will ask you about it and be honest, explaining what you've learned from the experience. Good luck!

wiseman27 said:
So last semester a buddy and I went to campus and took a table to use at our house. It was a Sunday and no one was there to ask to borrow it, so we made the mistake of just taking it. We got lazy and didn't return it for a few days, and it caught up with us. We ended up getting charged with theft of college property and received 70 hours of community service (10 per week for 7 weeks). during this time i managed to keep semester gpa of 3.7 and work approximately 30 hours a week. i feel like i learned a valuable lesson from all this but will the admissions committees feel the same? I have a 3.7 cum gpa and an 18aa 17 pat dat (im retaking later). this summer has me doing 40 hours of research per week and i am also a lab ta and tutor at the college. i will be applying next summer. is this dumb mistake going to hurt me? will it come up during an interview? i dont want a single incident to ruin my chances at getting into dental school, but im only human and we learn from our mistakes. will the admission committees overlook this mishap?

thou shall not steal

It was a table, they'll understand if you explain the situation.

LOL. Beer pong.

How does one make the mistake of "borrowing" a school's table? You mean stealing right? It sounds like stealing, but that might be because my school didn't like to lend out tables to any ordinary student...you had to be in the honor's society for that privilage

nothen2do said:
How does one make the mistake of "borrowing" a school's table? You mean stealing right? It sounds like stealing, but that might be because my school didn't like to lend out tables to any ordinary student...you had to be in the honor's society for that privilage

Was that the beer pong privilege or the flip cup privilege? :laugh:

Its funny how grey things get when you're the one actually doing them...then all of a sudden the consequences are upon you...like chuck norris