How bad does this look

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished up my freshman year at Emory University. I have a 3.72 overall gpa. I did really bad in genetics, i got a C+ in it. My other premed classes i did pretty well in it, i got an A both semesters in gen chem., i got a A- in gen bio (i have ap credit for the other semester), and i got an A in calc 1, and an A- in calc 2. I took genetics the second semester, so my gpa really slipped the second semester (from a 3.93 to 3.52). Will that be a big deal?
how bad does the C+ look for medical school admissions? Will it be calculated in my science gpa, or is there like a upper science gpa?
thanks for any of your help.

Members don't see this ad.

A C+ is a C+. Its not going to look great, but it wont kill you (assuming you do well in other places - as you appear to be doing). Dont freak out about it. You have 3 more years to firm up your GPA and in those 3 years you can re-take genetics if you want. It is important to realize that you dont need to stress over all of the little stumbling blocks you will encounter on the way to med school (I know that is easy to say).

Grades are important, but dont forget along the way to do some ECs and community stuff. For some schools that is more important than grades or scores.

Not too bad at all... as long as you do well the next two years, you'll be fine. Most people need some time to adjust to college. I think a C+ your freshman year is nothing to worry about. Just try to keep at least a 3.50. :)