How bad does this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgeon_hopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How bad would it look to dental schools if I withdraw from a class, and only end up taking 10 credits for the semester? I am doing really bad in Economics (please, just don't ask why) and have a C, and I really want to protect my GPA, especially since it's my first semester here. I highly, highly doubt I can bring my grade up, and if anything, it will drop to a D because I have absolutely no clue what's going on even after tutoring/study groups, and just bombed another quiz. Plus I need to decide by the end of the week whether or not I want to stay in it.

The only thing keeping me from dropping is that I'd only be taking 10 credits, which I'm worried might look bad as well. So what would you do? Without that stupid class I have a 3.7 (A in bio and calc, B in chem that I can still bring up), but with it, I have a 3.0, so would you recommend cutting my losses, and taking the withdraw, or just taking the D?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How bad would it look to dental schools if I withdraw from a class, and only end up taking 10 credits for the semester? I am doing really bad in Economics (please, just don't ask why) and have a C, and I really want to protect my GPA, especially since it's my first semester here. I highly, highly doubt I can bring my grade up, and if anything, it will drop to a D because I have absolutely no clue what's going on even after tutoring/study groups, and just bombed another quiz. Plus I need to decide by the end of the week whether or not I want to stay in it.

The only thing keeping me from dropping is that I'd only be taking 10 credits, which I'm worried might look bad as well. So what would you do? Without that stupid class I have a 3.7 (A in bio and calc, B in chem that I can still bring up), but with it, I have a 3.0, so would you recommend cutting my losses, and taking the withdraw, or just taking the D?

thanks

id take the W

A D or an F will look a heck of a lost worse than a W.

Members don't see this ad :)
take the W! It's true that W's don't look great. But you have the right idea about protecting your GPA. I have 2 W's and I don't regret either of them.

Take the W. Is this your first semester of college??? If it is the W means even less because you would say that I didnt really know what college was all about. Either way drop the course and dont get anything below a B.

Take the W. Is this your first semester of college??? If it is the W means even less because you would say that I didnt really know what college was all about. Either way drop the course and dont get anything below a B.

Yes it is. I was thinking about maybe explaining it by saying that I thought I had an interest in business as well as pre-dentistry, but after taking economics, I found out that business wasn't really my passion and that the sciences were. Is that a legitimate excuse, because that's basically what happened. I mean I hate the subject of economics, which is why it's hard for me to study it, and why I'm doing so poorly. But how will they view me taking 10 credits only, especially since I'm on semester schedule?

Yes it is. I was thinking about maybe explaining it by saying that I thought I had an interest in business as well as pre-dentistry, but after taking economics, I found out that business wasn't really my passion and that the sciences were. Is that a legitimate excuse, because that's basically what happened. I mean I hate the subject of economics, which is why it's hard for me to study it, and why I'm doing so poorly. But how will they view me taking 10 credits only, especially since I'm on semester schedule?

i don't think they'd look down on you cuz it Is ur first year. so it's ok.

i don't think they'd look down on you cuz it Is ur first year. so it's ok.

OK thanks. Btw, this is probably going to end up being a stupid question, but if I end up with a 3.5 or so, am I going to be screwed for dental school? My friend told me that if I want to go to OHSU (That's my goal) then I need a 3.9 or else I won't have that great of a chance. Is that true?

OK thanks. Btw, this is probably going to end up being a stupid question, but if I end up with a 3.5 or so, am I going to be screwed for dental school? My friend told me that if I want to go to OHSU (That's my goal) then I need a 3.9 or else I won't have that great of a chance. Is that true?

LOL, in that case, i need to rethink about getting into dental school, because my 3.6 isn't good anymore.

Dentistry has its business aspects... Can you take it pass/fail.

Dropping below 12 credits will put you not at a full time student status. Better check with financial aid before you do that.

W.
I had to take a W this semester and was glad I did. Well, upset at first but it gave me a lot more time to focus on my other classes too.

Yes you will be, sorry, you're SOL, its actually 3.98+

W.
I had to take a W this semester and was glad I did. Well, upset at first but it gave me a lot more time to focus on my other classes too.

yeah but people are making such a big deal out of me only taking 10 credits. Is it so bad if I'm only taking bad? I mean won't dental schools see that I was in the process of taking 13, it's just that I messed up in one class? I mean it's my first semester in college and I just don't fit in well at this school.

That last point actually brings up another issue though. I'm attending a school out of state that I realize I really don't like, so I'm definitely transferring back to my home state school. The thing is my school is on semester while they are on quarters, so the earliest I can apply for is the spring term, which means I'll have 4 months in between that I'll be idle due to the difference in schedules. Would this also look bad for dental schools? I mean I was definitely planning on taking classes somewhere, or doing something unique during this time (i.e. literally doing some soul searching because I'm seriously lost right now. I can't believe some of the stupid, rash decisions I've made) so would that be fine, or is that another mark against me? I'm just so lost right now, and completely freaking out because I know dental school is hard enough to get into as is, but now with my stupid decisions/shortcomings, I'm screwing myself over even more. Any advice? I mean now I'm starting to think that I really need those 4 months off because I really need a break and chance to catch my breath, but I'm not sure how dental schools will look at me! UGH! I'm just so confused and don't know what to do with myself anymore!

EDIT: Btw, please no more sarcastic replies. I know I'm a great target right now, but seriously, the mental stress I have right now is ridiculous and sometimes, I really, really wonder if I need some counseling (serious)