How bad is a Freshman year D?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCxX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not personally in this situation, but I have a friend who is going for medical school who is a Biology major (going the typical route) who took an intro-Econ class as an elective during the summer at a CC.

Being summer, he apparently didn't focus on his studies and pulled a D. He's pretty nervous about it and is afraid that it might destroy his chances at a decent medical school.

If somebody gets a D in a non-premed required course and retakes it (and gets an A), is that D still going to hold somebody back provided it's the only D the student gets (say the overall GPA ends up being a 3.55 or something)?

I would like to encourage him but I'm not really too familiar with how things like this work.

Members don't see this ad.

People even get Fs and still manage to get enough As to make their overall application compeititve. Getting a D, especailly during freshman year, is forgiveable, but one still needs to redeem it. If the overall GPA at application time is mildly subpar, like a 3.55, it can be compensated for by a slightly higher MCAT score, like a 32+. So go ahead and encourage your friend.

People even get Fs and still manage to get enough As to make their overall application compeititve. Getting a D, especailly during freshman year, is forgiveable, but one still needs to redeem it. If the overall GPA at application time is mildly subpar, like a 3.55, it can be compensated for by a slightly higher MCAT score, like a 32+. So go ahead and encourage your friend.

I'll be sure to do that.

Also, just out of curiosity for myself, I hear that if you bomb a pre-req class, that you should retake it. What if it's a D or F in a non-pre req class, should that be retaken as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
if we're talking about now and your friend is still a freshmen, then tell him not to worry about it until later. There's a lot of other things he should be working on. A D in a non-prerequisite class isn't a very high priority because it can be re-taken at any time. If he does retake it, do it during the summer at the very same CC.