How bad is a "W"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kcopela

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Graduate from SIUe in May. I originally was getting a BS in genetics/molecular biology but since I recently decided to again get on the pharmacy track, I switched to a BS in biological medical sciences with a minor in chem. If I don't get into school I plan on returning for a semester as I'm only a few classes away from a BA in general chemistry as well. My question is, since I switched majors I want to drop a recombinant DNA class I now don't need. It's really difficult and taking away time from classes I do need. How bad will this W affect me? I'm only Applying to siue. I have 4 Years as a liscensed, certified tech, lots of community activities, member of our PPA. I've earned Dean's list recognition a few times, 3 scholarship awards, and was the valdictorian of my high school. GPA at siue is just over a 3.3 (120+ credits) and a 4.0 at the community college I took college classes at while in high school (30 or so credits). I took the pCAT 2 years ago as a sophomore and received a 55. Horrible I know, and I would have had to retake it already to show up for this round of applications. I was just wondering if you think this W will really affect my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Stop doing whatever you're doing right now and burn your application immediately. /end sarcasm

On a serious note, a withdrawal isn't going to end you; it's just a minor blemish and not like it's gonna axe you or anything. However, I would encourage you to apply to more than just one school in case if things go south with SIUe. I banked my chances with a single school as well; you do not want to know just how stressful it was. However, if you feel that you're confident in getting in, then all the power to you friend.

I'm only applying there as I can't honestly afford anywhere else. My rent and living expenses are as cheap as they come here and I can still work weekends at my pharmacy if I get in. If I don't ill just finish my chemistry degree as well and re-apply!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a freshman year W, four II's so far, one at UChicago, so definitely not a death sentence.

Last edited: