How bad is it really?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GypsyHummus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey practicing ODs,

How bad off is the profession at this current stage? Is it really as bad as some of the users on the forum say it is? Why or why not? I see a lot of disgruntled ODs on the forums, but from the outside looking in, Optometry doesnt seem like that bad of a gig. Granted, tuition is crazy high, but that is all of healthcare.

Members don't see this ad.

Making plans to acquire my third medical Optometry practice.Its been a great ride so far

Reactions: 3 users
Hey practicing ODs,

How bad off is the profession at this current stage? Is it really as bad as some of the users on the forum say it is?

You've been on this website a long time, my friend. I'd say you've seen more opinions than most. Are you still undecided, or do you need to update your profile?

The bad situations are just as bad as people say they are. The real question is, what percentage are in a terrible situation after Optometry school, and how can you avoid it?

I work 4 days a week, net around 100k from my private practice. Set my own schedule, my employees listen to my orders and get me water/food etc. Its great for me. Took a risk and opened cold however in a very saturated area. Had 50k in loans, paid them off in 8 months. Now bought a house and putting in 100k in renovations in it. Not everyone will have the same situation as me. Requires years of planning and making the right decisions.

Reactions: 1 users