How bad is it to interview during a sub-i?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhmocksuhsillen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a sub-i later during interview season AND have already been offered an interview at this program. This is a program that is very high on my list. Unfortunately (but also fortunately) I was offered interviews at two other programs during my sub i. I am unable to schedule them for any other time and these other two programs are right up there in my top 4 - I really want to interview at both.

How bad is it to take time off to interview during a sub-i? Can this be mitigated by offering to work extra days on the weekends? Any other advice? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a sub-i later during interview season AND have already been offered an interview at this program. This is a program that is very high on my list. Unfortunately (but also fortunately) I was offered interviews at two other programs during my sub i. I am unable to schedule them for any other time and these other two programs are right up there in my top 4 - I really want to interview at both.

How bad is it to take time off to interview during a sub-i? Can this be mitigated by offering to work extra days on the weekends? Any other advice? Thank you.
Also curious. Wonder what @OldPsychDoc and @MacDonaldTriad have to say.

Interviews are very important and we know this. If you sub-I doesn't appreciate this, rethink you interest in that program. Just my opinion, but it is my opinion.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's program dependent. If a program is confident, nurturing, supportive...then it will be viewed as what it is. It's not an issue, just a matter of that you are in your application cycle. Where I'm at you would likely receive offer to help you prepare, answer questions etc. If the program is not...then think twice about the culture there and whether they will have your back when life throws you a lemon.
I would just make sure the patient care is not affected and your absence is not a surprise to the team you should be good on your end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
It's program dependent. If a program is confident, nurturing, supportive...then it will be viewed as what it is. It's not an issue, just a matter of that you are in your application cycle. Where I'm at you would likely receive offer to help you prepare, answer questions etc. If the program is not...then think twice about the culture there and whether they will have your back when life throws you a lemon.
I would just make sure the patient care is not affected and your absence is not a surprise to the team you should be good on your end.

I agree with this. However, patient care is typically a Resident's responsibility it should not be contingent upon a 4th year medical student. I have had some amazing Sub-I's but I don't think for a second that I would give any one of them a huge responsibility.

We have sub-Is with interviews during their sub-Is all the time. Residents/attendings should know you don’t get to always choose exactly when you do your sub-I and when your interviews are offered. Just as long as you’re not out every week on an interview it’s not a big deal to have a couple interviews, just let them know as far as possible ahead of time.

We have sub-Is with interviews during their sub-Is all the time. Residents/attendings should know you don’t get to always choose exactly when you do your sub-I and when your interviews are offered. Just as long as you’re not out every week on an interview it’s not a big deal to have a couple interviews, just let them know as far as possible ahead of time.
would you tell them before even starting the sub-i?

I have a sub i in December but I also have an interview in December. Not sure to tell them now or wait til I get there to let them know
you should ask in advance and offer to make up any missed time. in psychiatry, no one is going to say no, nor is anyone going to ask you to come in in your weekends to or whatever to make up the time, but you will make a much better impression if you do so.

Reactions: 2 users
you should ask in advance and offer to make up any missed time. in psychiatry, no one is going to say no, nor is anyone going to ask you to come in in your weekends to or whatever to make up the time, but you will make a much better impression if you do so.

Lol...my sub I is making me come in to make up time on a weekend....

well then you can decide if you really want to be at a program like that. i mean it's not unreasonable for them to do so, but i would never

Thing is, it's probably my number one, in my home state of CA no less. Resident from my school loves it there and it gets great reviews online...but I agree, it seems they are being unnecessary strict here.