How bad is it to not be employed full time while applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed545

Reaction score
For context I graduated in May 2022 and worked as an MA for a year and left my job at the end of May 2023 to focus on my current application as I am applying this cycle. However, I realize that many secondaries have asked what I am doing during this time. Is this a major red flag if I am currently only focusing on applying as well as doing weekly volunteer + shadowing here and there in addition to some personal hobbies? Would a part time job be something that may make me look more well rounded or should I be looking for another full time job ASAP? I am fortunate enough that I have enough money saved for that to not be an issue at this time and figured that if I had the means to spend more time on my primary/secondaries this would be beneficial, but now I am worried that this will come across as lazy to adcoms. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it’s okay to have taken the summer off to do applications, but you should be about finished with that now, so it’s time to think about how you will spend your time until you start school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it’s okay to have taken the summer off to do applications, but you should be about finished with that now, so it’s time to think about how you will spend your time until you start school.
Got it. Yeah I was thinking along the same lines and I have been looking to start a new job come September, so that means from June-Aug I would have had off, this amount of a break to focus on apps + travel/spend time with friends shouldn't affect me too much?

In the end, you need to speak the truth. I suppose you could attend a premed summer bootcamp to work on your application. Just be sure to deliver.
I agree the truth is important and that's why if I were to be asked I would say it was just to have more time to spend on apps rather than coming home from an 8 hour shift to have to grind secondaries. Do you think it's essential I try to find another full time job at this time or would a part time job suffice as long as I continue to volunteer and shadow?

I agree the truth is important and that's why if I were to be asked I would say it was just to have more time to spend on apps rather than coming home from an 8 hour shift to have to grind secondaries. Do you think it's essential I try to find another full time job at this time or would a part time job suffice as long as I continue to volunteer and shadow?
I can't say for your personal circumstances. If you need the money, find some work. If you get bored studying, find a service orientation community service activity (food distribution, shelter volunteering non-clinical, job/tax preparation, housing rehabilitation, non-clinical transportation services).

Reactions: 1 user
Got it. Yeah I was thinking along the same lines and I have been looking to start a new job come September, so that means from June-Aug I would have had off, this amount of a break to focus on apps + travel/spend time with friends shouldn't affect me too much?
Absolutely fine!

Reactions: 1 users
I really don't think this is going to hold you back, but I also don't think you need to bluntly state that you took this time to focus on apps. Spin it by focusing on the other things you're doing, ie travel, connecting with friends prior to application season. Not everything has to revolve around the pre-med/application grind.

It is also unnecessary to explicitly state that you spent time on applications, since... ahem... they will be reading the application, which you obviously spent time on :) That is sort of self-evident, so focus on the other stuff.

Last edited:
... does not know of any one who got accepted by telling adcoms they participated in an MCAT/Application Bootcamp ...

I know it happens because so many consulting companies offer them. And those that got accepted usually go back and teach/mentor...

Piggybacking, how bad is it to go work at my Mom's medical office as an MA over the summer? She needs help and I can live at home then. In context: I worked as an MA out of state for 8 months but quit in late June to focus on apps.

Piggybacking, how bad is it to go work at my Mom's medical office as an MA over the summer? She needs help and I can live at home then. In context: I worked as an MA out of state for 8 months but quit in late June to focus on apps.
That's fine. Are you in your application cycle now?

I took the summer off to move cross-country and am now taking time for secondaries and to complete an EMT certification, for these types of questions I mentioned the move to explain the transition and told them what kind of job I want after my certification and why, obviously not sure if that works yet but I think it's probably useful to say that you have goals/a plan!

That's fine. If you are interviewed and asked if there is any update to your file, you can mention having a (part-time/full-time) job as an MA. You don't have to mention that it is your mother's practice, unless you want to.

You've already done this kind of work so it is already on your application and not likely to plug a hole in your experiences so I would not recommend adding it as an update. It is fine to describe the job if asked in a secondary what you are doing during your gap year.