How bad is it when one class brings down your whole GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plue00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a stupid language requirement at my school and I'm taking Latin. I should end this semester with an A or A- in every other class (13/17 credits) except for Latin(4/17 credits), which would be a C or C+ at best. How is it viewed when 1 class, (2 semesters of latin = 8 credits, 2 semesters left = 6 credits) brings down your whole overall GPA? I'm still in my first year and it looks like my overall GPA is going to be ~3.4 and a sGPA of ~3.7. Latin was 8/30 credits I took this year.

I know I have 3 more years to improve but I'm pretty horrible at Latin and I have two semesters of it left. Would it look that bad if just these Latin classes bring my GPA down but I have an okay sGPA?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't affect your chances severely. Of course, if it brings down your GPA to a 3.4, THAT would be the factor that affects your chances, but you have a lot of time left to dilute those C's.

Just do good in your other classes. It's possible to get into a top 20 school with a C in a class (even a science class!), as long as you do well in your other classes.

Good luck.

I have a stupid language requirement at my school and I'm taking Latin. I should end this semester with an A or A- in every other class (13/17 credits) except for Latin(4/17 credits), which would be a C or C+ at best. How is it viewed when 1 class, (2 semesters of latin = 8 credits, 2 semesters left = 6 credits) brings down your whole overall GPA? I'm still in my first year and it looks like my overall GPA is going to be ~3.4 and a sGPA of ~3.7. Latin was 8/30 credits I took this year.

I know I have 3 more years to improve but I'm pretty horrible at Latin and I have two semesters of it left. Would it look that bad if just these Latin classes bring my GPA down but I have an okay sGPA?

Thanks

You answered your own question. You're in your first year, so there's no sense in worrying about it. Besides, if you're terrible in Latin why put yourself through two more semesters of torture? That's just plain silly.

Why not learn Spanish? You'd complete your language requirement in the short term and be able to converse with Spanish-speaking patients in the long term. Win-win...

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You answered your own question. You're in your first year, so there's no sense in worrying about it. Besides, if you're terrible in Latin why put yourself through two more semesters of torture? That's just plain silly.

Why not learn Spanish? You'd complete your language requirement in the short term and be able to speak with Spanish-speaking patients in the long term. Win-win...

We have to complete a language up to a certain point to get out of the requirement. I took the Spanish placement test and somehow scored too high (but not high enough to be exempt) so I was placed in a ridiculously hard Spanish level so I figured I'd start over with Latin... haha. I can't go to a lower level Spanish either because my college thinks I'm trying to get an easy "A." I've probably forgotten a lot of Spanish from high school since it has been a year since I've used it.

Taking a dead language to fill a foreign language requirement really seems to defeat the purpose of a language requirement. Carry on.

We have to complete a language up to a certain point to get out of the requirement. I took the Spanish placement test and somehow scored too high (but not high enough to be exempt) so I was placed in a ridiculously hard Spanish level so I figured I'd start over with Latin... haha. I can't go to a lower level Spanish either because my college thinks I'm trying to get an easy "A." I've probably forgotten a lot of Spanish from high school since it has been a year since I've used it.

Oh, I see. Can you retake the test? I was forced to take Latin in middle school and it suuuuucked. In high school I switched to French and got the language requirement waived in college after two attempts at the proficiency test. Passed the second time.

I guess you have two options: Stick with Latin and risk your GPA more or start another language like French, German, Chinese or something else. Would that be possible?

Taking a dead language to fill a foreign language requirement really seems to defeat the purpose of a language requirement. Carry on.

My thoughts exactly. I was going to say something to this effect but refrained.

If you're going to start a new language, I'd go with German...it's the closest to English and pretty easy to pick up :)

Not really. It's debatable whether fulfilling your language requirement in any language will be sufficient to speak it--especially if you don't practice it after you've learned. Plenty of people take "alive" languages and never use them. Why not at least take one that you enjoy? It's not like Latin has no uses.

why?

Chances are you would rarely/never use any of them, except on vacation.

I took american sign language, and was able to use it once in the ER in the 3 years I've known it. And all I said was, (direct translation) That - Form, Write (fill out that form)

I've forgotten most of it from lack of use.

why?

Chances are you would rarely/never use any of them, except on vacation.

I took american sign language, and was able to use it once in the ER in the 3 years I've known it. And all I said was, (direct translation) That - Form, Write (fill out that form)

I've forgotten most of it from lack of use.

I use my Spanish all the time...

That being said, Spanish is probably the most functional of all the foreign languages offered.

I use my Spanish all the time...

That being said, Spanish is probably the most functional of all the foreign languages offered.

I'm sure spanish could be useful, especially down south.

Up here in the midwest, you'd have look somewhat hard for uni-lingual spanish individuals or selectively target a specific community center to use it.

You'd probably have a better chance of using Hindi or Chinese :laugh:

I'm sure spanish could be useful, especially down south.

Up here in the midwest, you'd have look somewhat hard for uni-lingual spanish individuals or selectively target a specific community center to use it.

You'd probably have a better chance of using Hindi or Chinese :laugh:

Hmm, very interesting - forgot to take domestic regional differences into consideration :)

Better than when all your classes bring your GPA down.

Relax.

Just got my grades back... I had A/A- in 5/6 of my classes and a B- in Latin. Would have a 3.8c/3.68s without it but instead I have a 3.5/3.68.

I know my GPA isn't horrible (or maybe to some of you guys, it is) but it's painful to see an overall drop of .3 due to a certain class. 6 more credits (2 semesters) of this crap to go through though...