how bad is this post-acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jboy46

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a drunk in public charge (no disorderly conduct or anything like that simply stopped by cops and arrested after leaving a bar-lovely town) about a month ago. I also just got accepted to two schools last week. Both use a background check. It's the first thing I've ever had on me (not underage), and I'm going to try to fight it. Should I just tell them and see what happens? Has anybody had something like this happen to them or somebody they know?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to this exact situation (because I've never been there). But from my experiences with similar situations - full disclosure always pans out the best. Your anxiety is relieved and honesty is*usually* admired and appreciated.

So I'd say tell the schools.

I think honesty is the best policy. Wouldn't you rather know now if you jeopardized your spot in a dental school, rather than, say, two or three years into the program?

I think most dental schools would rather see you own up to a mistake, rather than try and sweep it under the rug.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that. But, agree, that you knew what could happen and that you'd risk your spot in d-school/s. Just admit it to the schools and make excuses.

But, agree, that you knew what could happen and that you'd risk your spot in d-school/s
So by that rationale, if you go to a bar you better be ready to get arrested if you have to walk back in public to your buddy's (who was a DD) car? I didn't sign up for it, but it happened.

Also, I'm not trying to deceive the schools. My attorney said there's a pretty good chance the charges will be dismissed, but on the off chance that they aren't - I'm going to have to tell the schools. Primarily, I'm concerned with the possibility of them revoking my acceptance. Has anyone ever heard of someone having it revoked for something that happened after the fact?

I would just tell the school(s). You might want to be a little more careful when you're in school, because once you're a dental student you become a representative of that program.

Good luck to you, jboy46 then. It was just my opinion :)

Thanks for the luck. It was my fault, but I there was certainly a "wrong place wrong time" component.

I would wait to see if the charges stick. If they stick then tell the school but if they are dropped then its not on your record and nobody cares.

I had something on my record I was worried about as while..not as severe as yours though..haha jk! and I wasn't sure if I should say anything because I got charged but never convicted and anyways I called schools and I also called my state judicial system and even when you are charged but not convicted it can be accessed on your records and I know a lot of schools do an automatic back ground checks after acceptances and before you start school (my school actually charges me for them to do the background check on me :( ) and they said if there is anything on your record that they find that you did not tell them about before you could be facing automatic revoke of your acceptance..but I guess those were only the schools I applied to?? but I still think honesty is the best way to go!!

I would tell the schools because even if the charges get dropped, the arrest will still show up on the background check. it will just show that you were not convicted or charges got dropped.

so i would tell the schools and let them know that charges will likely be dropped, but you wanted to be upfront and let them know.

At least thats my thoughts, you have to make the final call. but the important factor that has not been mentioned is that even if they do get dropped, schools will likely still see the arrest. so best to still tell

good luck and God bless

Here's why you don't tell the school:

1) They don't care. They only care about elevated crimes like murder, rape, aggravated assault, etc. Public drunkenness doens't look great, but it's not the type of crime they're looking for.

2) It occurred after you submitted your AADSAS. You didn't lie on your app. It just hadn't occurred yet.

Go to court. If the cop doesn't show up, you're home free. If he does, pay the fine, do community service, or whatever. Then have it erased from your record. By the time the schools do the background check, it's already off your record.

Hey,

You have absolutely nothing worry about.

Unless you were violating other rules like breaking into someone's house or was convicted of other felonies and had to come before judge for a trial, there is nothing to worry about.

Public intoxication is just class C misdemeanor and it's just like getting a speeding ticket.

So don't worry about it and enjoy your acceptance to a D school or D schools in your case.

I believe it asks if you were every CONVICTED of a misdemeanor or felony. A Public intoxication or even a disorderly conduct is NOT a misdemeanor. Now if it was obstruction of governmental property, then yes, that is a misdemeanor, but if you fought it and it was dropped down, you were never CONVICTED of it were you? I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with the others. Unless Loma Linda is your first choice, you should be fine.

I got a drunk in public charge (no disorderly conduct or anything like that simply stopped by cops and arrested after leaving a bar-lovely town) about a month ago. I also just got accepted to two schools last week. Both use a background check. It's the first thing I've ever had on me (not underage), and I'm going to try to fight it. Should I just tell them and see what happens? Has anybody had something like this happen to them or somebody they know?

Seriously you were accepted to the schools. At this point, calling them and saying "I just was charged with being drunk in public" would seem ridiculous from my standpoint. Not only does it seem like not that harsh of a charge, but you haven't even been convicted of anything yet. At least most schools run the background check BEFORE they accept you anyway. They will probably never find out. If a school approaches you about it, then tell but if you were already accepted, I wouldn't worry about disclosure. They likely will never find out. Just don't give too much of a clue about who you are on here. Some ADCOM members do monitor these threads or so I was told by a school in NY.

I'd like to hear what you were doing to be charged with that though. Sounds like it may be a funny story. I think at some time or another pretty much everyone (unless it is against their religion) has drank too much and unfortunately gone out in public... TAKE THAT DENTAL SCHOOL! :p

Here's why you don't tell the school:

1) They don't care. They only care about elevated crimes like murder, rape, aggravated assault, etc. Public drunkenness doens't look great, but it's not the type of crime they're looking for.

2) It occurred after you submitted your AADSAS. You didn't lie on your app. It just hadn't occurred yet.

Go to court. If the cop doesn't show up, you're home free. If he does, pay the fine, do community service, or whatever. Then have it erased from your record. By the time the schools do the background check, it's already off your record.

Dentstd... your signature isn't here, but I just wanted to have it put on the record that I do buy cereal in a bag.

a drunk in public is a citation correct?

citations do not show up on a background check. they'll never know. do not say anything.

What was your BAC?

its not just a citation, but as long as its a 1st offense you get pre-trial diversion (no conviction), so no big deal. even if you were picked up for it, if the charges are dropped they can't hold it against you

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

I have family members that are lawyers and I know how the system works.

1. If you have only been arrested and have not been to court, get yourself a lawyer and he can pretty much get you off.

2. Worst comes to worst if this is your first offense and its not a DUI or DWI you will get deferred adjudication. Basically you will be charged but not convicted of the crime. You will probably recieve community service, pay fees, and be on probation. After completion of probation if you didn't get into any more trouble, the record will be dismissed. SO IF YOU ARE EVER ASK: "Have you ever been convicted..." you can legally answer "No". Now the system is getting smarter and they have reworded things that include deferred adjudication etc, but most likely not every one will include this.

But do not just randomly call the Dental school because as an American citizen you have rights and at this point you haven't been convicted of anything. Whether you are right or wrong you definately can get this off your record with no blemishes. Get a lawyer!! and no not those cheap $50 per case lawyer either.