How bad will I be hurt for not having a committee letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedKid4

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So I was unable to register for a committee letter in time as it required 3 professor letters (my rec letters were backed up with their own work, by the time they were able to submit, spots filled in).

Unfortunately, I come from a flagship university // state school. I know this is going to hurt, but I wanted to understand how much. I already expect to not get an interview from my alma mater.

For reference: everything else is fine. 3.7/518/4th quartile casper/ good ECs, etc..

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone

So I was unable to register for a committee letter in time as it required 3 professor letters (my rec letters were backed up with their own work, by the time they were able to submit, spots filled in).

Unfortunately, I come from a flagship university // state school. I know this is going to hurt, but I wanted to understand how much. I already expect to not get an interview from my alma mater.

For reference: everything else is fine. 3.7/518/4th quartile casper/ good ECs, etc..
If your school offers a committee letter and you don't provide one they're going to look at that as a huge red flag.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone

Submit the individual letters and if asked about it, say you had unfortunately not been able to collect the letters for the committee before the deadline. Keep your explanation short like this and let your application stand on its merits

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submit the individual letters and if asked about it, say you had unfortunately not been able to collect the letters for the committee before the deadline. Keep your explanation short like this and let your application stand on its merits
i appreciate the advice. by any chance are you aware to the extent the committee letter holds now? as in would it be a reason for an app to be rejected?

i also wanted to ask if it made sense to list that the school offered to waitlist for the letter, but it ended up being for september. i prioritized submitting early. should i leave that part out?

Last edited:
What do the specific schools you’re applying to say about letters?

Some allow them, some prefer them. Most are clear about their preferences.

I don’t notice a significant difference in my students who apply with or without a letter. It makes more sense for some of them than others, and I work with them to figure out what is likely to be stronger.

seems like a fair amount of schools prefer them on my list, say half. I submitted a letter packet instead

unfortunately one of which being my alma mater ofc