How bad will it look taking OAT twice with low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmeout382100

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My gpa is low 3.07 s:2.84. Had more than a couple repeat classes but over 1000 hours of optometry related experiences and volunteer hours. How bad will it look if I completely bombed my first attempt (under 40-50% percentile) but do well the second time? I’m scared this shows a pattern that I have to do things twice... and scared no one will accept me. Does anyone have experiences similar to this. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I had similar stats. Gpa ~3, and I got a 290 on my OAT the first time around with almost 4 years of optometric/ophthalmic technician experience. Retook all the classes I needed (which were many science courses) and got a 330 the second time around this past February while getting interview invites for all the schools I applied to. I recently just accepted my seat for NECO!

Reactions: 1 user
If anything, that shows your commitment to improving! In the face of adversity, you didn't give up -- you tried again.
I retook the OAT without a school requesting it and only got 10 points higher but my interviewers all liked that I took the initiative.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If anything, that shows your commitment to improving! In the face of adversity, you didn't give up -- you tried again.
I retook the OAT without a school requesting it and only got 10 points higher but my interviewers all liked that I took the initiative.

Thank you! Really needed to hear this.

I had similar stats. Gpa ~3, and I got a 290 on my OAT the first time around with almost 4 years of optometric/ophthalmic technician experience. Retook all the classes I needed (which were many science courses) and got a 330 the second time around this past February while getting interview invites for all the schools I applied to. I recently just accepted my seat for NECO!

Wow awesome thank you! Did any of the schools question about your retake and what happened the first time around ? Congrats and good luck to you!!! Nervous about if they’ll grill me about how I didn’t do well the first time

Wow awesome thank you! Did any of the schools question about your retake and what happened the first time around ? Congrats and good luck to you!!! Nervous about if they’ll grill me about how I didn’t do well the first time

No not particularly about my OAT scores they just commented on it improving overall, one interviewer asked about my study techniques. If anything they asked more about my undergrad prereqs that I didn’t do as well on. Just be honest and tell the truth about why you didn’t do as well / what attributed to your lower gpa. They just want to see that you improved throughout your academic career by retaking courses, retaking the OAT, etc.

My gpa is low 3.07 s:2.84. Had more than a couple repeat classes but over 1000 hours of optometry related experiences and volunteer hours. How bad will it look if I completely bombed my first attempt (under 40-50% percentile) but do well the second time? I’m scared this shows a pattern that I have to do things twice... and scared no one will accept me. Does anyone have experiences similar to this. Thanks
Sorry this doesn't answer you. I had a question actually. Where did you get that much experience from???

I think you’re fine. I have a gpa around 3.0. My first attempt at OAT was a complete failure. My second attemp I did much better. 280 to 320 AA or something like that(sry I can’t remeber), and I got interview offers at 8 schools and went to 2 interviews and got accepted at both.

Your gpa is fine. Do better than 300 on the OAT your second time. And you already have the experience. Apply as soon as the cycle opens and you’re good. I wouldn’t worry if I was you. I was super super nervous that I wouldn’t get accepted anywhere but it worked out.

Yea it doesn’t look bad at all if you retake the OAT all the schools actually like it that if you take it again and do better, shows that you are committed