How bad would a "C" really hurt your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If an applicant had a high overall GPA (over 3.8/3.9 lets say) and strong EC's/MCAT, would a single C on their transcript really do much damage? I mean to me, seeing a student with a C in something such as biochem or genetics could be a red flag showing they can't handle the med school curriculum. Probably a dumb question but some of my friends said their acceptance would be void if they got a single C (that was for PA school)

Members don't see this ad.

Strong GPA, strong MCAT, 1 C?

Just be able to explain it and you'll be fine.

In before the angry premed mob! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
My philosophy is that if you get a C in the first semester of a class, getting an A in the second semester can redeem your bad grade to some extent

dude your jacked

You'll be fine. I had a C- in Orgo I and I was accepted to my top choice school. The best advice I received on the subject of Cs was to take an upper level class in the subject area, so I took a upper level biochem class and got an A to demonstrate that despite the one grade, I still had a strong foundation and strength in chem. Many schools will simply require you to put down "two chem classes, two biology classes, etc." so if you take another class in that subject area you can simply input that class instead of the class you have a C in.

Email the schools you are most interested in and get their advice. That's what I did, and none of them recommended re-taking the class.

You'll be fine. I had a C- in Orgo I and I was accepted to my top choice school. The best advice I received on the subject of Cs was to take an upper level class in the subject area, so I took a upper level biochem class and got an A to demonstrate that despite the one grade, I still had a strong foundation and strength in chem. Many schools will simply require you to put down "two chem classes, two biology classes, etc." so if you take another class in that subject area you can simply input that class instead of the class you have a C in.

Email the schools you are most interested in and get their advice. That's what I did, and none of them recommended re-taking the class.

That's a good idea. I took on a lot of new EC's and research this semester and really had to try hard to keep the gpa up.

I have 3 C's and I got in...

During Freshman year spring I was in a car accident and got 2 C's (Calculus and Gen Chem 2)... then Sophomore Fall I got a C in Organic Chemistry 1- I am really not a chemistry person but I studied my butt off and got an A in Organic Chemistry 2...

So it hits your GPA but if you do well in a lot of other classes then they realize you can handle the load of medical school. My C's were not brought up in any interview- the closest that it was mentioned was a question on how do you plan to handle the load and I responded with some stuff bout not working 20 hours a week (which did affect study time)

Seriously- not everyone is perfect and some classes are near impossible to earn an A in

I'll tell you how bad my head hurts when I see threads like these.

Members don't see this ad :)
If an applicant had a high overall GPA (over 3.8/3.9 lets say) and strong EC's/MCAT, would a single C on their transcript really do much damage? I mean to me, seeing a student with a C in something such as biochem or genetics could be a red flag showing they can't handle the med school curriculum. Probably a dumb question but some of my friends said their acceptance would be void if they got a single C (that was for PA school)

You'll be fine. Especially if you send the adcoms a picture of yourself with your shirt off-- nice chest, man. (Just kidding, btw. DO NOT send a picture of yourself half naked to med schools-- EVER.)

Got a C in Bioresearch 1 n still got into a top research school. You'll be FINE.

At my undergrad, getting a "C" in your freshman or sophomore year would all but disqualify you from getting into the nursing program. It was super competitive.

I'll tell you how bad my head hurts when I see threads like these.

I think its a legitimate question. During one of my interviews the interviewer was giving me a hard time about a B- in Organic Chemistry. They [the adcoms] do care, I don't know why you guys are so dismissive of things like this.

to the OP: I think doing well in an a higher level class can help to nullify a bad grade. The really key thing is not to make a habit of it, more than 2 or 3 Cs in prerequisite classes could be an issue.
-Roy

I think its a legitimate question. During one of my interviews the interviewer was giving me a hard time about a B- in Organic Chemistry. They [the adcoms] do care, I don't know why you guys are so dismissive of things like this.

It's not being dismissive; they're simply stating what has been the case for most applicants: in an otherwise solid application, a C/C+ will not be the thing that keeps you out of medical school.

You'll be fine. Especially if you send the adcoms a picture of yourself with your shirt off-- nice chest, man. (Just kidding, btw. DO NOT send a picture of yourself half naked to med schools-- EVER.)

Yeah..my plan is to start hitting some poses if the interviews don't seem to be going well :p haha

Yeah..my plan is to start hitting some poses if the interviews don't seem to be going well :p haha

Wasn't there a classic SDN joke thread with like a bazillion posts about a person who submitted their secondary application photos shirtless? [By the way as a weight trainer myself I've got mad respect for you Alaska.]
-Roy

Wasn't there a classic SDN joke thread with like a bazillion posts about a person who submitted their secondary application photos shirtless? [By the way as a weight trainer myself I've got mad respect for you Alaska.]
-Roy

Haha I should look for that. It'd be interesting to submit a picture from one of my competitions to a secondary just to see what happens :D Too bad I'd never have the guts to try that LOL

You need to stop listening to your "friends" who are doing a good job of "getting into your head" about the medical school application process. Plenty of people get into medical school with Cs, Ds and even Fs on their application.

The bottom line is that you can't get too many of these poor grades. One poor grade is a fluke. A string of them is a trend. Just don't have any "trends" of poor grades and you will likely be OK.

I second this :laugh:

If that pic in your avatar is you...god damn you're buff!

i don't think it makes that big a difference. i have a below-average GPA. i have one C and have been asked to explain it in the interview. i have a very good excuse, if you can explain it, show an upward trend then you will be okay!

Haha I should look for that. It'd be interesting to submit a picture from one of my competitions to a secondary just to see what happens :D Too bad I'd never have the guts to try that LOL

Why not try that? You are the epitome of health and you might as well use that to your advantage in this field.

Why not try that? You are the epitome of health and you might as well use that to your advantage in this field.

To be honest I am going to mention my bodybuilding in my application, explaining how it led me to conduct skeletal muscle research and got me even more interested in medicine. Also I think its important for physicians to practice what they preach.

Anywho...to probably piss off most people in this thread- I got my grades this morning and I somehow pulled a B, not a C :| If I were you guys, I'd be rolling around laughing at how paranoid I am LOL!!

I second this :laugh:

If that pic in your avatar is you...god damn you're buff!

That picture of me was actually back when I competed in high school (2006). I did however do another bodybuilding comp. 2 months ago and won my division...just haven't put any pics up here haha!