How can hospitalists make money on off weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOdreaminguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been touched on in other threads, but I wanted some more clarity: if you work 7 on/7 off as a hospitalist, what is the best way to make extra money on your off week?

Seems like urgent care offers only $75/hour for IM grads. Are most hospitals open to letting you work extra shifts (20 in a month, for example)? If not, where can you work that will allow you to only work 3-4 days on your off week? I'd like to be a hospitalist but will need extra income the first few years post-residency.

Also, slightly unrelated, but about how much is a reasonable amount of loan repayment to expect from a hospitalist job?

Members don't see this ad.

There are non compete clauses in contracts so you need to look for those. If there arent any then you do whatever you want

I know this has been touched on in other threads, but I wanted some more clarity: if you work 7 on/7 off as a hospitalist, what is the best way to make extra money on your off week?

Seems like urgent care offers only $75/hour for IM grads. Are most hospitals open to letting you work extra shifts (20 in a month, for example)? If not, where can you work that will allow you to only work 3-4 days on your off week? I'd like to be a hospitalist but will need extra income the first few years post-residency.

Also, slightly unrelated, but about how much is a reasonable amount of loan repayment to expect from a hospitalist job?
Most jobs I know will allow you to pick up extra shifts. Whether you want to is your own business.