How can I be tougher and learn to control my temper?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kg062007

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, sometimes I let the stuff that people say get to me. Plus I have a very quick temper. I have gotten into arguments with professors in college for being racist and unfair. I have snapped on girlfriend for being stupid an annoying. I know I can't continue like this if I want to be successful in life. I will be starting medical school soon, and I know it will be a long journey of taking bull from everyone ( teachers, attendings, nurses etc) how can I put emotions aside and get through this? Why am I like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't the Dr. Phil forums..why are all these people posting their life problems?! Do you really think we can give you the best advice? eh trOLL?

This isn't the Dr. Phil forums..why are all these people posting their life problems?! Do you really think we can give you the best advice? eh trOLL?

oh please nerdy virgin go jump off a bridge...oh I just did it again

Stop listening to rap/rock/metal/techno.
Only classical jazz is allowed.

bacardi.jpg

Unless you're an angry drunk :p

You're asking a board full of doctor-wannabe's for psychological advice?

wat r u srs

Lol this is funny... Next time you get mad think about making love to a pillow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Find everything in your life that you're grateful about. Reflect on those. Reflect why you're with your gf in the first place. Certainly not because she's stupid and annoying. Reflect on why you're taking a class with certain professors. Think about everyone who's helped you become the person you are.

serious response is serious

Hi, sometimes I let the stuff that people say get to me. Plus I have a very quick temper. I have gotten into arguments with professors in college for being racist and unfair. I have snapped on girlfriend for being stupid an annoying. I know I can't continue like this if I want to be successful in life. I will be starting medical school soon, and I know it will be a long journey of taking bull from everyone ( teachers, attendings, nurses etc) how can I put emotions aside and get through this? Why am I like this?

See a psychologist. Seriously. They are the experts in getting people to understand their own thinking processes and helping people come up with strategies for implementing change.

I swear that everyone should go to routine counselling.:thumbup:

therapy. and don't be embarrassed about it

To OP: I think that you're taking a good first step in reflecting on your actions. Better sooner than later! I agree with others on here who have suggested counseling or seeing a therapist. If this isn't an option, there are many self-help books that you can borrow from the library. Also, meditating, practicing yoga, and perhaps learning about principles of some peaceful religions like Buddhism, may also help tone down the temper that you describe. Ultimately, improving yourself takes time and effort; you are already on a good path by being aware of this!

I'm seeing a lot of blame being pointed at the people around you, but one common factor between all of the cases...