How can I become an Orthoptist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MerchantOfChaos

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I'm seeking some advice in routes to take to become an orthoptist. I currently hold two jobs as an Optometric Technician. I've completed one year of college but dropped out several years ago. I'm going back in September to attend a 1 year certification program to become a certified Ophthalmic Technician. Afterwards, I intend to continue my education via home study courses offered by JCAHPO and eventually become a COMT. If I continue to take these courses and advance in rank as Ophthalmic staff member, will this eventually make me eligible to enroll in a training program to be an Orthoptist?

Any advice is appreciated!