How can I better my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMCsquare

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*I am hoping to apply next Fall*
*Also, I've always had my heart set to med school but I didn't step it up because I was embarrassed of my grades, hence I was too immature. It was not until a life changing event that I realized I need to chase after my dreams relentlessly *

Background

I am 23 years old. Hispanic, Lived whole life with mom. Really low income.
I attended a high school where there were not many resources. I am first generation in my family to go to college. I currently attend a state school. I attended Community college for 1 year.

GPA
Science: 3.4
Non-science: 3.5
Overall: 3.4
*My GPA has a significant upward trend, I believe I made a huge comeback because 2 years ago I was stuck with a 2.9 GPA*

Biology 1- A
Biology 2- B+
Chemistry 1 - WD (first try) B-
Chemistry 2- A
Physics 1- B-
Physics 2- A-
Orgo 1- A
Orgo 2- A
Ecology - D (first try), A (retake)
Micro- A
Virology - A
Human Anatomy- A

*my math classes mess up my science gpa, I hate math But I grinded them out, the courses I took are embarrassing but it is what is, Highschool didn't do me so well with Math*
Pre- Algebra - C+
College Pre-Calc - C+
Stats - C+

MCAT
Chem/Phys: 130
CARS: 129
Biochem: 124
Behavioral: 129
Total: 512

Clinical Experience
3 days shadow hospitalist. (Hoping to drop EMT for a couple of months and work as a scribe very soon)

Other
Bilingual (Spanish and English)
Afterschool Tutor for Life sciences
EMT for about 7 months
Volunteer in hospital for about 5 months

So what can I do to strengthen my application? What are my chances at getting into med school? I feel like I am a just below average applicant. I am really hoping my upward trend helps me. Any advice is welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What Hispanic Community do you represent? Some are considered URMs, some arent. Your answer here completely changes what I would do going forward

For the sake of this discussion lets assume you are not the type of Hispanic that is considered a URM

1) The ECs on the surface look somewhat limited. No research experience. Beyond some afternoon tutoring(you werent specific how much you did) there isnt any non clinical volunteering. There isnt much service with the less fortunate and most vulnerable populations. Based off what you have written here, ECs wise you dont really stand out at all and are on the generic side. Now there are variables that can influence this; ie if you had to work significant hours during college to support you and your family that can change how this part of your app will be perceived. But based off what you wrote if you want to improve, its probably a good idea to look into adding some reseach experience, diversifying your volunteering experiences to really include service with the most vulnerable and least fortunate popluations, and to keep adding on to the clinical volunteering.

2) Historically at least 50% of people with a 3.5/32 find an acceptance somewhere who arent URMs. Odds are way higher for DO schools. The upward trend is a variable in your favor but the 124 in bio is a variable working against you. Hard to say what to do about the MCAT: generally retaking strong scores are not a particularly good idea but the 124 in bio isnt ideal either. It's a tough call on what advice to give.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Even with a 124 in biology/biochem?
The perceived benefit to society would have to be large enough to make up for academic assistance and the cost to the applicant if they repeat a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The perceived benefit to society would have to be large.

Do you think a retake where the same overall score is the same(511-513) but where there is more balance(ie 126-127+ on each section) would help the OP?

Do you think a retake where the same overall score is the same(511-513) but where there is more balance(ie 126-127+ on each section) would help the OP?
Not at my school. Multiple MCAT's with similar scores is also a risk factor...

Not at my school. Multiple MCAT's with similar scores is also a risk factor...

Yeah I suspected such. This is one of the more tricky situations to try to give advice to.

If OP is UIM, lots of places will take the risk (as you suggested above).

I agree although I will also note there isnt really much(if any) in the way of service to the OPs specific UIM community if in fact they are a UIM. But yes it certainly changes the outlook significantly if they are.

Ultimately, the OP needs something to make them desirable and overlook the bio score. UIM status is an obvious answer. But if they aren't a UIM, and the goal is to improve the OP's chances/make them more desirable I think I might lean towards prioritizing improving the EC's and non academic parts of the application which are on the generic side over trying to address the MCAT bio score for now.

What Hispanic Community do you represent? Some are considered URMs, some arent. Your answer here completely changes what I would do going forward

For the sake of this discussion lets assume you are not the type of Hispanic that is considered a URM

1) The ECs on the surface look somewhat limited. No research experience. Beyond some afternoon tutoring(you werent specific how much you did) there isnt any non clinical volunteering. There isnt much service with the less fortunate and most vulnerable populations. Based off what you have written here, ECs wise you dont really stand out at all and are on the generic side. Now there are variables that can influence this; ie if you had to work significant hours during college to support you and your family that can change how this part of your app will be perceived. But based off what you wrote if you want to improve, its probably a good idea to look into adding some reseach experience, diversifying your volunteering experiences to really include service with the most vulnerable and least fortunate popluations, and to keep adding on to the clinical volunteering.

2) Historically at least 50% of people with a 3.5/32 find an acceptance somewhere who arent URMs. Odds are way higher for DO schools. The upward trend is a variable in your favor but the 124 in bio is a variable working against you. Hard to say what to do about the MCAT: generally retaking strong scores are not a particularly good idea but the 124 in bio isnt ideal either. It's a tough call on what advice to give.

Hey thanks for the input, I represent the Mexican community. Does that make me a URM?

Hey thanks for the input, I represent the Mexican community. Does that make me a URM?
Applicants from under-represented groups are valued for validated commitment to service to their community. Do you have this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users