How can I get a LOR when I was a mediocre student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeaInPea

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if there are already a million threads on this.

Through my entire college career, I was mostly a B or C student. This not only reflects in my GPA, making me a less competitive candidate, but it also makes it more difficult for me to ask professors for a letter of recommendation.

For the students who are in/have been in my situation, when applying for schools that require a prof LOR, how do you go about asking? A lot of profs at my university explicitly say they will write you one if you achieve an A in their course, so I'm not sure they will if I eared a lower grade. I also already graduated a year ago & never went to office hours.

I currently have one letter of recommendation from an optometrist/employer, and I'm certain that one will come with glowing praise, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to get any other LORs.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Email the professor and see if you can go in to their office and ask them in person. Not everyone makes straight A's and not everyone stands out to a professor. But if you make the effort to ask them in person they may be inclined to help you. The worse they can say is no and you move on to another professor. if you have your personal statement that may be helpful to them.