How can I get free standard FLs MCAT (not COVID) from the third parties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumn123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the test in 2021 march or April, and I thought the test is going back to normal length. I really want to simulate the real thing using those free offerings from third parties. Right now Altius is only offering a free full length COVID-adjusted (haven't check other companies). Is there anyway I can ask them for a standard length instead? Does anyone know how long will they stop offering/selling COVID-length exams and go back to the normal length?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend purchased sources. While good quality free standard full-length tests may be out there, they are few and far between. I recommend getting the Altius packs and/or Kaplan self-study plan, and of course AAMC prep hub

Reactions: 4 users
I recommend purchased sources. While good quality free standard full-length tests may be out there, they are few and far between. I recommend getting the Altius packs and/or Kaplan self-study plan, and of course AAMC prep hub
This^^^^^. FLs take a lot of time and money to develop. There is no such thing as "free."

Test prep companies will typically offer you a free single, score deflated "diagnostic" as a means to try to scare you into buying a course. Kaplan and TPR will also typically throw in a few freebies when you buy their written materials, again, in an attempt to upsell you. As long as you understand the limitations of the scoring associated with these tests, using them for practice is fine.

Beyond that, these things cost money to create, and there is a robust and ongoing demand for them, so you should not expect to find them for free. I'm not sure what you are looking at, but Altius, and all other vendors, ARE currently offering full length FLs for sale. Good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for answering my question! You seem to say that the free diagnostic exam are usually of lower quality/more difficult than the other practice exams on sale? I do consider buying a packet of practice exams from one of the third parties but I'm still a bit nervous given so many choices and so many different opinions about which one is best.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for answering my question! You seem to say that the free diagnostic exam are usually of lower quality/more difficult than the other practice exams on sale? I do consider buying a packet of practice exams from one of the third parties but I'm still a bit nervous given so many choices and so many different opinions about which one is best.

Thank you.
No, they are not of lower quality. They are just more difficult in order to deflate your score, in an attempt to sell you services. Companies that sell packs of tests separately don't have the same motivation, so the scoring is more realistic. The problem is still that they are trying to mimic what AAMC does, but they are not AAMC, so the tests will be never be truly representative, and the scoring always seems to be at least a little deflated across the board.

There is nothing wrong with them, and they are useful to provide additional practice and to help highlight areas of potential weakness. Because the scoring is unreliable, my advice is to not stress about that, and to rely solely on AAMC test scores to gauge where you are and what to expect on the real thing. I used Altius. Others use NextStep (now called Blueprint), which is reputed to be a little better, but there really is no "best," since opinions are subjective.

The important thing is to master content and how to take the test. Some people swear by prep courses. Others think they are a total waste of time and money. Some people think third party FLs are invaluable, others think they are useless. Some people need months to review content. Others think that is pointless and the best prep is to just jump into practice questions. Some people love Anki decks, others don't like them. There are multiple effective roads to get there, different things work for different people, depending on their learning style and academic background. Nothing, other than AAMC material, is "best." Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I personally found the freebies to be poor exams in simulating what my actual MCAT was like. As someone already mentioned, they are designed to freak you out and give you a bad score so that they can sell you products. Bite the bullet and get actual FLs. AAMC is a must. Get ALL of their materials. I also purchased EK, TBR, and Altius and then mixed and matched different sections to get more well-rounded FLs. I used the extra passages I didn't use in FLs for additional studying. None of them were as realistic as AAMC, but it was still a good learning experience. The TBR explanations are pure gold, so be sure to read every answer, even if you got the question right.

Reactions: 1 user