How can I improve my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTATC

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 24 y/o male(overall 3.0gpa) with a less than desirable freshman year (2.4). Furthermore, I've recently battled cancer which has had a significant impact on my undergraduate career. My major in college is sports therapy and I've had the opportunity to intern at physical therapy clinics and participate in physical therapy hospital rotations. I've also sat in on a couple of orthopedic surgeries which has helped encourage my interest in becoming a physician. I've completed all the pre-reqs. for medicine and I'm planning on taking the MCAT's in August. Do I have a chance of getting into a DO school? I'm expected to be in remission from cancer in DEC., will this hurt my chances? What are the hard facts I need to know to improve my chances? I'm a resident of Maine and particularly interested in UNECOM, does anybody have any insight or comments about UNE? Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to tell you much without the dreaded MCAT...too little info...

First of all, welcome to the message boards.

Secondly, your medical condition should have no impact on your ability to become a great physician and therefore should have no effect on your acceptance. If anything, the struggle you have been through with your condition may even make you more sympathetic towards patients and their families...possibly making you a better physician overall. Just an opinion.

Now....MCAT scores are necessary. Do well. Shadow D.O.'s and get a letter of recommendation.
Visit schools...and visit them again.
Volunteer...prove that you want to become a physician. Watching surgeries is great...working with people and patients it better.
Learn about Osteopathic Medicine. History, philosophies, and things like that.

With your other question...UNECOM is supposed to be a great school. I have yet o visit there, but plan on doing so in the future. I am from Connecticut and UNECOM is certainly a school which I would love to attend. I have heard it is a beautiful campus, wonderful people, and offers an atmosphere that is wonderful for studying medicine.

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit. I hope that you continue to post messages and keep us updated.

Who knows...maybe someday we will be classmates at UNECOM!?

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"