How can I improve my ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mere1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I hope to apply to medical next summer, and I want to use this year to make myself a more competitive applicant. I am particularly concerned about my ECs. I would greatly appreciate constructive criticism and advice.

Here’s what I have so far:

NC resident
BS Biology and BA Chemistry
3.92 GPA (non-science 4.00 GPA)
Honors College Member
Phi Eta Sigma Member
Phi Kappa Phi Member
Chancellor's List (5 semesters)

1 year inorganic chemistry undergraduate research (2 publications as a coauthor)
3+ years as a lifeguard at my university rec center
225+ hours hospital volunteer in the ASU, ICU, Heart Institute
130+ hours volunteer peer tutor at my university for biology (including microbiology and anatomy)

20 hours physician shadowing (through a university program) in family, internal, emergency, and pediatric medicine

3 years as a choreographer and dance instructor at a local dance studio. I teach ballet, tap, lyrical, and competition classes during the school year. In addition to teaching technique, I choreograph dance routines for the annual recital and work backstage at the show.

2 summers as the artistic director for vacation bible school at my grandmother’s church. I designed, organized, prepared, and taught the craft projects for all of the classes (ages 2-13) and led a group of peers who assisted me. I designed and created the T-shirts for the program.

Just as a side note.... I am a long distance runner, currently training for my first half-marathon!

I digress, here’s what I am working on now:

I am trying to find a doctor to regularly shadow this semester.
I have been offered a job as a lead biology tutor where I have been volunteering.
I am taking the MCAT in January 2013 (already studying).

What can I do to improve my ECs?
Am I a competitive applicant?
I want to apply to schools mainly in the southeast: Brody, Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, Emory, Georgetown, MUSC, MCG, EVMS, UVA, VCU, etc.

What are my chances?

Please and thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks pretty diverse to me.

I guess you could add more shadowing hours but it's more important that you can talk about your shadowing than it is that you rack up hours. Is there a way for you to get some kind of certification that will let you work with patients directly? CNA and EMS seem to be popular ones.

Maybe get some research under your belt. I also need to get involved with more ECs. Make sure you really nail the MCAT, a lot of those schools have 32-34 MCAT averages.

Coolingglasses - when you say diverse, do you mean that as a good thing? I want the shadowing for the experience, not the hours. I wish I could get the EMT or CNA certification, that would be an amazing opportunity; however, with classes, work, and volunteering I have no time to get that certification before next summer which is when I graduate and will be applying.

ES2 - I did a year of chemistry research and have two publications as a coauthor. Do you think that with a decent MCAT score that my school list is reasonable? My dream school is Emory.

I'm thinking of volunteering with Habitat for Humanity on the weekends (it sounds like a lot of fun) but I'm concerned I might get overwhelmed with everything else going on.

Thanks for the responses so far! Anybody else have some advice?